Good, affordable tropical reg set recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miflex are Nylon, EDGEFLEX is Poly. generally speaking nylon is softer and more flexable, Poly is more abrasion Resistant> Miflex has the patent on using Nylon, I wouldn't anyhow.

Thanks, Jim. I looked at the EXP and it does seem like a great value. 2 HP ports is not necessarily a solid requirement if the rig is good otherwise and priced right.

The Edge stuff comes with nylon hoses too, which seems nice... I'm familiar with Miflex hoses, do you know how the Edge nylon hoses compare? (However, I'd need a 5' hose on the primary, so I may still have to eat the price of the included hose.)

Good to know, thanks.

My understanding is they use the same OEM as Hog/Edge, so I don't think you will see a great weight savings there.

Not anymore. But still i wouldn't expect a weight savings. The TiEx or the EXP are super lightweight.

what are you running for tanks/pressures? If 3442 or less, why not change your stage to yoke? Inserts (200 bar) are cheap...... 300, yes, an entire different story....

Funny you should suggest that, I spoke to my shop this morning and they suggested the same thing. Didn't know it was possible, but it makes sense. Is it easy to switch them back and forth yourself? I mean, is changing out the insert like changing out a hose, or is it complicated?

insert for the tank is just a hex key...

DIN to yoke is a "special" socket, a vise and stage holder, and a torque wrench (recommended)....

What i am saying, is do you really need DIN?

Maybe we're talking about different things.

I have a cold-water DIN reg. I also use it on vacation, with a screw-on yoke adapter. I hate the adapter which is why I started looking at "travel" regs with yoke fittings.

I'm now looking at replacing the DIN fitting on my existing reg with a yoke fitting. The appeal of that diminishes if switching the reg from DIN to yoke and back requires a circus of tools, or a service call.

I'm now looking at replacing the DIN fitting on my existing reg with a yoke fitting. The appeal of that diminishes if switching the reg from DIN to yoke and back requires a circus of tools, or a service call.

It's not difficult to switch, but you might need a few special tools. You need a torque wrench and maybe a specialized socket. It takes about 3 minutes to do it if you have the right tools. But, if you really only want to limit yourself to changing hoses, just buy a new yoke 1st stage and put your 2nd stages on it for traveling.

There is another issue; the yoke and DIN retainers are not designed to be constantly removed and replaced. I once ridiculed someone for posting that you would damage the threads on the retainers for frequently removing and replacing them, but as it turns out there is some stress on the threads when you do it. Sorry to whoever that was! A few times/year I'm sure would be fine, but you wouldn't want to do it every week. So if you're constantly switching between yoke and DIN, buy a new 1st stage. One or two trips/year, just change the fitting.

It's only a few times a year for me, so that should work. Thanks for the info!

Back
Top Bottom