Goliath grouper found with spear in head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iluvtheocean

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
sun-sentinel.com/news/palm-beach/fl-grouper-speared-20140613,0,7640186.story
[h=1]Sun Sentinel[/h] [h=2]Goliath grouper found with spear in head[/h] By David Fleshler, Sun Sentinel
2:58 PM EDT, June 13, 2014

A snorkeler near the Jupiter Lighthouse came across a disturbing sight: A five-foot Goliath grouper swimming with a stainless steel spear sticking out of its head.
The snorkeler, who spotted the fish just inside the Jupiter Inlet, called the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission, which sent a diver out to find the fish. The point of the spear was still lodged a few inches behind the grouper's eye, but the shaft had become detached, connected by a tether to the point.
The fish, estimated at 250 to 300 pounds, was "lethargic but still living," according to the commission on Friday.
The diver cut the tether and brought it back as evidence.
"It's conceivable the fish could survive," said Tom Reinert, research administrator for the wildlife commission, who worked on the case. "They're big, hardy, tough fish."
But regardless, he said, it's illegal to kill or attempt to kill them, under both federal and state law. In state waters it is a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable but a fine of up to $500 and up to 60 days in jail.
The Goliath grouper, formerly known as the jewfish, can grow up to 800 pounds and can be found in shallow water, around reefs, docks and inlets.
Goliath groupers have been found illegally speared before, he said, and there have been other reports of them seen with spear points protruding from them.
The spear in this case was of unusually high quality, Reinert said.
"It's a very expensive spear shaft," he said.
The commission is asking for the public's help to catch who speared the grouper. Anyone with information is asked to call 1-888-404-3922 or text Tips@MyFWC.com.
dfleshler@tribune.com, 954-356-4535

Copyright © 2014, South Florida Sun-Sentinel

While I'm glad the fish is still apparently alive and kicking, I got more enjoyment out of the incident in the Keys some years ago in which a yahoo decided to spear a goliath in an MPA and the fish decided to take him down with it. Karma's a biatch sometimes.

"Almighty Father, please stop making jerks. Amen ..." - Serge A. Storms

While I'm glad the fish is still apparently alive and kicking, I got more enjoyment out of the incident in the Keys some years ago in which a yahoo decided to spear a goliath in an MPA and the fish decided to take him down with it. Karma's a biatch sometimes.

"Almighty Father, please stop making jerks. Amen ..." - Serge A. Storms

Nice! I've not yet gotten "enjoyment" out of any diver death. I knew a guy, who I had zero respect for, and a strong disliking, but when he died in a diving accident, along with two others divers, all I felt was sad.

I believe some divers saw that same Goliath grouper on Wed June 4 on the belzona barge wreck. Two divers reported the exact same grouper with a shaft in it. They attempted to remove it but could not get close enough.

Nice! I've not yet gotten "enjoyment" out of any diver death. I knew a guy, who I had zero respect for, and a strong disliking, but when he died in a diving accident, along with two others divers, all I felt was sad.

I would say that the incident described above wasn't a diving accident: it was an example of someone foolishly messing with the wrong creature and receiving just desserts. Which in no way suggests the deceased was or was not necessarily possessed of any other particular quality as a person...just that if you play stupid games, you merit your stupid prize. Being an otherwise great guy (or even just being a human being) doesn't mean all one has to feel is sad at your passing.

I would say that the incident described above wasn't a diving accident: it was an example of someone foolishly messing with the wrong creature and receiving just desserts. Which in no way suggests the deceased was or was not necessarily possessed of any other particular quality as a person...just that if you play stupid games, you merit your stupid prize. Being an otherwise great guy (or even just being a human being) doesn't mean all one has to feel is sad at your passing.

On that note, when it comes to Bull-Fighting, I'm with the bull, all the way ...

The things we(as in 'humans') do for fun ... The list is endless ... Some of it, harmless, 'other' stuff? Not so much ...

On that note, when it comes to Bull-Fighting, I'm with the bull, all the way ...

The things we(as in 'humans') do for fun ... The list is endless ... Some of it, harmless, 'other' stuff? Not so much ...

sorta like scuba diving... doing something (for fun) that god never intended .... and then getting killed?

We saw three of these guys (Goliaths) while diving the Liberty ship out of Destin last week. Very cool. That's what I've always liked about diving- you never know what you're going to see when you go down there.

sorta like scuba diving... doing something (for fun) that god never intended .... and then getting killed?

Think, you'll agree that Scuba would fall under 'mostly harmless', correct??:wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom