Dive boat operators face charges of illegally feeding sharks in state waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Apparently, although I don't know how much clearer I can make it, you still do not get that I like sharks - in their natural environment - and encourage sensible conservation. I support the efforts of the Shark Research Institute - including limited financial support. They seem to have a handle on shark research since their chairman is this guy:
Leonard J.V. Compagno, Ph.D., the Director of the Shark Research Institute, is the world’s foremost expert on sharks.

Hmm... who to believe? An organization devoted to shark research - or Pete and Randy...:shakehead:

And the onus is not on me to provide a study from the FWC for you. I'm not the one on the side of the person accused of breaking the law.

For some odd reason Pete you seem fixated on the idea that I'm a "screaming meemies" when it comes to sharks. That's about as 180o from my position as it is possible to conceive of. If there's one thing I don't like it's exploiting them for personal gain. I think I've made that pretty clear.

As I said before, we'll have to agree to disagree. Neither of us is willing to concede the other's position.

This is just getting tiring now so...I'm out. Do respond if you feel the need to, I'll read it. Just won't reply.

(many of the followers of this thread probably wish it would've been sooner...)

Last edited:
So, I'm supposed to trust the guy who spends his time collecting shark attack info without doing any actual research? No. I'll wait for a study and hopefully studies on the behaviors of sharks. Until then, my mind will remain wide open. My position is: WE DON'T FREAKIN' KNOW!

Sharks come to all sorts of noises. Sailors from even the time of Columbus noticed that dropping anchors with chains often brought them in. This predates shark dives by at least a few centuries. Crinkling a plastic bottle at depth can and will bring them in. A fish thrashing on the end of a spear can also bring in unwanted dinner guests. All these are prehistoric behaviors and have nothing to do with man teaching sharks a thing... just like them scavenging dead fish on the bottom. It's what they do naturally. They aren't teaching sharks to seek out free meals, they're counting on that atavistic, prehistoric feeding response sharks already possess. If you don't know what you're doing, you're going to get yourself hurt. Just don't blame the sharks.

So, I'm supposed to trust the guy who spends his time collecting shark attack info without doing any actual research? No. I'll wait for a study and hopefully studies on the behaviors of sharks. Until then, my mind will remain wide open.
I said I wasn't going to reply but just for clarity, I think you've confused the Shark Research Institute in NJ - Home - Shark Research Institute with the Shark Attack Files - Shark Attack File SAS World Wide international global Shark Attack File

They're two very separate organizations. SRI works to stop finning, monitors Whale Sharks, that sort of thing. And they do have someone from the Global Shark Files on staff. But also people like Dr. Sylvia Earle, David Doubilet, Wyland, Marty Snyderman, Stan Waterman, etc... IDK if you know Marie Levine - it's her organization.

They've done some relevant publications including:

Raid Amin, Erich Ritter, Peter Kennedy (2012)
A Geospatial Analysis of shark attack rates for the east coast of Florida 1994-2009. Marine and Freshwater Behaviour and Physiology: 45 (3): 185

Erich K. Ritter, Raid Amin (2013)
Are Caribbean reef sharks, Carcharhinus perezi, able to perceive human body orientation? Animal Cognition, 2013; DOI: 10.1007/s10071-013-0706-z

Ritter, Erich. K. and Marie Levine (2005),
Bite motivation of sharks reflected by the wound structure on humans. American Journal of Forensic Medicine and Pathology. Jun; 26(2):136-40.

Ritter, Erich & Marie Levine (2004)
Use of Forensic Analysis to Better Understand Shark Attack Behaviour. The Journal of Forensic Odonto-Stomatology, Vol.22 No.2, December 2004

c ya,

But, they aren't attacking the divers. None of those studies apply to this discussion, but they are interesting.

The fact that Erich Ritter's name is on all of those is a flashing red light to me. Just about every reputable shark biologist I've ever met would sooner stand next to unshielded plutonium than coauthor a publication with him.

The fact that Erich Ritter's name is on all of those is a flashing red light to me. Just about every reputable shark biologist I've ever met would sooner stand next to unshielded plutonium than coauthor a publication with him.

how many have you met?

I mean, I could say the same thing and since I have never met one, it would be completely true.

I invited Erich Ritter to this thread. I have no idea if he'll participate, but he's been invited.

I booked another trip with Randy for the first Sunday in June. Even if you are against sharkfeeding, you should try it once to see for yourself what it's like. Randy is selective though on who he will take out which is probably why he does not have more accidents.

Conceivable, that much of Ritter's stuff turns out to be 'right', and all the guys, knocking him, are 'wrong'?

We've seen that one before ... Just a thought.

Conceivable, that much of Ritter's stuff turns out to be 'right', and all the guys, knocking him, are 'wrong'?
It's quite possible. There's just nothing substantive either way. Everyone's guessing and I have a problem with any government establishing policy based on a SWAG (Scientific Wild Ass Guess). Show me the studies!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom