Fish whirlpool around my head—weirdly fun

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nolatom

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
This morning near the ESSO BONAIRE off Jupiter, many many huge Goliath Grouper, really good dive. But new to me was becoming the center-point of a bunch of mismatched fish, all circling fast around my head, bump-bump-bump as they whirled around for a couple minutes. Had to bite on my reg a little to keep it in.
Wassup wit dat? I’m not used to being that popular. My buddy Angie didn’t have them, just me. Eventually they went away.
A new experience for me in years of diving. Angie, with much more experience, said it was little fish using me as a barrier while bigger fish chased them. Not uncommon, said she, they will use any handy object to avoid becoming brunch.
Nice day, wrecks and reefs pretty in the sunlight. Plus the “fish gyro” ;-)

You were lucky to have had one of the magical moments in diving. Wishing you many more experiences like that one.

A couple of years back on Cocos Island I watched a small fish from the huge bait ball we were hanging below hiding behind a diver's head. He had been caught and escaped, but was unable to get back to the ball and was using her for shelter.

i was in a baitball once off Seal Dog Rock in the BVI's - thousands of silversides flexed around me since there were 3-4 predators - including a cuda looking at them for lunch. The cuda moved in and made a couple fast strikes about 20' from me - scales everywhere. Back on the boat I had to brush them off my BC - the creases were coated with them.

... I’m not used to being that popular. My buddy Angie didn’t have them, just me. ...
Cool report my friend Tom!! Very happy you got to experience the Goliaths and the huge bait balls with dive bombing jacks inches from your mask. Makes a fun trip!!

Aftermath: what’s that fishy smell? asked my better half.
Me: I dunno, I rinsed my BC...

Uh-oh now I smell it too. Might this explain why BC had fire ants after I left it on the lawn yesterday to dry off? ( not a pleasant experience btw, I’m still kinda itchy).

Mysteries answered!! Half a dozen little silvery sardine- like ex- fishies wedged onto the far recesses of the open pockets I never use, behind the outer pockets with the flaps I do use. Geezum, how’d they get way in there? Desperation of prey, must be..

Okay, dig them out, wash BC, this time with soap in all the hidden corners. That should work, and the ant bites fade in another day or so??

Personal bait ball dive—“It’s not just an adventure, it’s a job”.. ;-)

I wouldn't call it a bait ball (like pictures I've seen), but on an oil rig off TX I was inundated by a ton of what they call "Look Downs". I could see how they got the name and it was weird.

No fish whirlpool around your head thread would be complete without a video of my friend Kevin diving Gilboa Quarry out in Ohio...... He had to swat them away like flies.
Patrick

No fish whirlpool around your head thread would be complete without a video of my friend Kevin diving Gilboa Quarry out in Ohio...... He had to swat them away like flies.
Patrick
Looks like those fish are used to being fed by divers?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom