Golem Gear is at it again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Golem35 kit now comes with the SS screws to hold the wing to the BP when the tank is off.
All these differences in the kit are a function of how the base wing is supplied. The Golem wing comes with SS cam bands and SS screws, the Oxycheq wings do not.

Thanks LOF for clearing that up. That makes the Golem wing combo at $340 sound a lot better than the Oxycheq wing combo at $360 + cam bands + screws.

Hmmm, I'm thinking more and more on the Golem wing combo. I have to be really nice to my wife for the next few days and explain to her how it will make the world so much better. Someone in another thread said a BP/W system can make coffee. If it can also mow the lawn, and shovel snow (we get lots of those in Canada)..., then I'm ordering one.

I noticed that the Oxycheq, Halcyon, OMS, Diverite, and DSS Torus are donut wings while Golem, and the DSS LCD wings are horseshoe. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks.

I called Jakub @ Golem Gear this morning and he helped me out a lot on choosing a good system for me. We modified my original order now that I am more educated! Many thanks to him for clearing up misconceptions I had and patiently answering my questions. I have a new setup in the mail and am anxiously awaiting it!

ams511:
I noticed that the Oxycheq, Halcyon, OMS, Diverite, and DSS Torus are donut wings while Golem, and the DSS LCD wings are horseshoe. What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? Thanks.

Some people argue that it really doesn't matter (search titles for "donut" and you'll find out), but others, myself included, prefer donuts. A donut (O-bladder) allows you to shift gas in the lower arc if you tilt slightly head down, whereas with horseshoes (U-bladder) that part of the wing is closed to gas transfer.

ams511:

If the wing is a narrow center panel design with minimum tank wrap, there is almost no decernable difference between the performance of a Horseshoe or donut wing.

Venting to done during ascents, and few ascents are made butt first, particularly if you need to also vent a drysuit.

Tobin

*Floater*:
Some people argue that it really doesn't matter (search titles for "donut" and you'll find out), but others, myself included, prefer donuts. A donut (O-bladder) allows you to shift gas in the lower arc if you tilt slightly head down, whereas with horseshoes (U-bladder) that part of the wing is closed to gas transfer.

Thanks Floater, I did the search before posting and you can imagine what I found, a lot of rants and little real information. I am not sure I understand the benefit of shifting gas to the lower part of the wing. Is this a benefit just for venting the wing when decending and ascending? Does the U-shape trap gas more than the o-shape?

ams511:
Thanks Floater, I did the search before posting and you can imagine what I found, a lot of rants and little real information. I am not sure I understand the benefit of shifting gas to the lower part of the wing. Is this a benefit just for venting the wing when decending and ascending? Does the U-shape trap gas more than the o-shape?

You add gas while descending, and vent during ascents.

A narrow center panel wing doesn't trap gas because there is almost no tank wrap. Doesn't matter if it's a "U" or an "O".

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
Venting to done during ascents, and few ascents are made butt first, particularly if you need to also vent a drysuit.

Tobin

Thanks for the response Tobin. However I am unsure what you mean with the above statement. I only dive using a wetsuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom