Going to the Island this week

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwissie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
We are headed to Vancouver Island for the first time ever, to do what else...DIVE!!! We are staying in the Victoria area and are looking forward to trying all of those famous sites around there. I know there is a ton of stuff to do while out of the water as well. Anything we "must" see while in Victoria???

Kwissie:
We are headed to Vancouver Island for the first time ever, to do what else...DIVE!!! We are staying in the Victoria area and are looking forward to trying all of those famous sites around there. I know there is a ton of stuff to do while out of the water as well. Anything we "must" see while in Victoria???

Ogden is must do, but check out Henderson point as well. Why not make it drive and dive. Go over to Victoria but come back via Nanaimo and do a few dives over there, then you can catch the Departure Bay ferry back.

Henry

Henry:
Ogden is must do, but check out Henderson point as well. Why not make it drive and dive. Go over to Victoria but come back via Nanaimo and do a few dives over there, then you can catch the Departure Bay ferry back.

Henry

Great idea Henry, thanks. Our first stop when we get there is going to be Ogden Point Dive shop for some fills and then the breakwall. Can't wait to see the diving over on the island.

BTW was over at Kelvin yesterday and the "lady" said a few things to us. Another man who lives in Lions bay (and also a diver) and said he didn't think it was a problem diving there. Nice to know we have someone on our side.

Kwissie:
If you're going to Ogden Point, you might want to go for a stroll along the Dallas Road sea-side walkway. This cliff-top trail has excellent views of Juan De Fuca Strait and the U.S. Olympic mountains. The Breakwater is a very "Victoria" dive and well worth it, but don't be like too many divers (mostly from Alberta for some reason) that enter from the beach, swim around in 10-20 feet of water and get excited that they saw a fish. Try to walk out at least to #2 (#2 dive flag painted on the breakwater). Even better, if you can make it out past the second corner, there are lots of wolf-eels. I personally wouldn't bother with any of the dive sites in Saanich Inlet. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are very similar to your Vancouver dives and if you come all the way over here, you might as well see something different. If you are into colourful, invertebrate-covered walls, do yourself a big favour, and do a shore dive at 10-mile-point. -Very different from what you may be used to in Vancouver.

s****enstein:
I personally wouldn't bother with any of the dive sites in Saanich Inlet. There is nothing wrong with them, but they are very similar to your Vancouver dives and if you come all the way over here, you might as well see something different.

One other problem with the Saanich Inlet is the viz this year, it been very unpredictable. One day you get 60ft of viz the next day only 5ft or less. When you come all the way from Vancouver and jump in the water for 5ft of viz, it's not much fun. If you come all the way to Victoria you have to do the best shore dive over here, Ten Mile PT. Check the tide table before you dive there.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom