Going to Ramon's on Ambergris, comments?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gaila

Registered
Reaction score
First trip to Belize, only 3 days to dive, staying at Ramon's. Would appreciate suggestions re:dive ops, sites, dining, etc. Also keeping skeeters at bay!

Ramon's has always had a mixed reputation. It's very attractive and has the best beach anywhere in the town area, but it hasn't (in the past) always lived up to its promise. It has been extensively revamped and I haven't heard any negatives since, so maybe the problems (mainly relating to inadequate staff supervision) have been cracked.

Anyway, they have their own highly-regarded dive op, so I wouldn't look elsewhere. You won't really have much choice in local dive sites, not with them nor with any other dive op, but don't feel concerned about that. Your main choices are between diving outside the local section of the Barrier reef, where there are lots of superficially similar sites; diving in the Hol Chan marine reserve south of the island, a very shallow dive site (less than 30') that nonetheless has lots of cute things to see - if you do a night dive it'll almost certainly be here; and diving the two more northerly Belizean atolls, Lighthouse (which is where the Blue Hole is situated) and Turneffe (whose main feature is The Elbow at its southernmost tip). Depending on your experience levels, I'd suggest Hol Chan > local diving outside the reef > Lighthuse Atoll > Turneffe Atoll. If you're experienced and current I'd suggest skipping Hol Chan, other than as a night dive.

As to eating, Ramon's restaurant is pretty but doesn't have the highest reputation. Just up the beach towards town you have two much safer bets - Blue Water Grill and Wild Mangos. In town there are some interesting places with more of a local flavour, and I wouldn't miss Reef Restaurant on "Middle Street". Except on Tuesdays there's an excellent ice cream parlour just opposite.....

As to bugs, a lot depends on just when you'll be here and whether there's been recent rain. There are virtually no bugs of any description currently, and there haven't been for months. If there are any you can buy locally anything you need. A basic "kit" is a room spray plus a body spray - reckon on spending maybe US$10 for the pair. Usually more significant than mosquitoes are the sand flies, which can also carry disease. The best way to avoid them is not being out on the sand for the two hours surrounding dusk, and if you are putting bug body spray on your lower legs and feet. Some people (very few) are particularly allergic and come out in hives, and they should get a decent anti-hystamine prescribed to them before they come out. Those drugs are readily available here, but knowing where to get them and just what to get when you're already hurting is the issue. Far better to come prepared, though as I said this is only for the very few who particularly react to these things. I (for example) have never taken an anti-hystamine in my life, except once in England when I was stung by what seemed to be the entire contents of a wasps' nest!

Good advice by peterbj7. Only thing I would add is to do breakfast at Ramon's but do lunch and dinner at other places. Blue Water Grill (very good) and Wild Mangos are good restaurants but there are many other places to try... just take a short walk. Check out the ice cream place too. Very good!

I think the best diving was at the Lighthouse or Turneffe Atoll. I would go back in a NY second. It will be a long ride and cost extra but imho, it's worth it. Local sites around Ramon's does not even compare.

Also, ask for a room not next to the street as it is noisy very early in the morning, unless you love to rise when the sun comes up from the vvvrrrrmmm of local bikes and trucks. Have fun!

What days will you be there I will be there June 17th - 24th.

Back
Top Bottom