Going to Key West

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lorack1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I will be heading to Key West, Fla the last week of March. Does anyone know of a reputable/reliable dive shop or group that offers excursions? And what should I make a point to see or do? I have been on the web, but which one is really the best? I was in Key Largo last year and experienced one excellent outfit, and one awful one, ugh. HELP!

I will be heading to Key West, Fla the last week of March. Does anyone know of a reputable/reliable dive shop or group that offers excursions? And what should I make a point to see or do? I have been on the web, but which one is really the best? I was in Key Largo last year and experienced one excellent outfit, and one awful one, ugh. HELP!

Unfortunately, I can't offer you much help with the diving because I haven't gone yet, since I was certified last year! BUT you bet I will be there by April!

But I can tell you what I have done, well, not everything.......

The sunset cruise (you can either snorkel/dive) then DRINK to your hearts content... which was a BEAUTIFUL sunset.. or you can just do Malory square, that has same BEAUTIFUL sunset... ALSO, as soon as I get there and before I leave I have to have a sloppy joe from Sloppy Joe's (ironically enough).

There is also a place that I went for brunch on Sunday that was INCREDIBLE...but don't mind the roosters walking around.. here is link key west restaurants - Blue Heaven Restaurant (home)

HAVE FUN! Hope this helps...

OH-on the way down, if you get hungry there is a place to the right called Leaning Tower of Pizza... WOW:shocked2: YUUUUMMMYYYYY

I've always done well with Captain's Corner but recently saw an operator named Bonsai Diving that looks like they should run a nice trip.

Please share who the dives ops were. Please make sure to specify which one was excellent and which one was awful. Thank you.

I had a good experience with Scuba diving in Key West - Southpoint Dive Shop when I dived there a couple years ago. I will tell you that, although Key West diving is definitely good, it is not nearly as good as the Upper Keys, at least in my opinion.

Hi

We just got back from a week in the keys yesterday. Can't wait to go back.

During the Key West portion of our trip we dove with Bonsai Divers. Captain Pete is a really great guy to deal with and has worked with us to make each trip awesome. We went with him Friday and had a pod of 12+ dolphins swim right past us! Much fun.

I would also recommend Looe Key Divers up on Ramrod Key (mile marker 27-ish). If you will have a car there, it is totaly worth the 30 minute drive. We dove with them Wednesday and were very impressed with their new boat and old crew. They took us on a 3 tank trip for about the same price as most ops do for 2 tanks. In between tanks 2 and 3, they fired up the gas grill and flipped some burgers and hotdogs for everybody.:D The reef they go to is gorgeous as well. We will definitely dive with both ops again when in Key West.

Have an awesome trip!

Hi

We just got back from a week in the keys yesterday. Can't wait to go back.

During the Key West portion of our trip we dove with Bonsai Divers. Captain Pete is a really great guy to deal with and has worked with us to make each trip awesome. We went with him Friday and had a pod of 12+ dolphins swim right past us! Much fun.

I would also recommend Looe Key Divers up on Ramrod Key (mile marker 27-ish). If you will have a car there, it is totaly worth the 30 minute drive. We dove with them Wednesday and were very impressed with their new boat and old crew. They took us on a 3 tank trip for about the same price as most ops do for 2 tanks. In between tanks 2 and 3, they fired up the gas grill and flipped some burgers and hotdogs for everybody.:D The reef they go to is gorgeous as well. We will definitely dive with both ops again when in Key West.

Have an awesome trip!

Is that the trip that they take you to the Busch first and then out to two reefs? If so I'm considering that trip when I'm down in October. (and if so, how was the Busch dive?)

in KW I've always used Captains Corner, big boat, always seem to have room for one more, and not very expensive to boot!

Is that the trip that they take you to the Busch first and then out to two reefs? If so I'm considering that trip when I'm down in October. (and if so, how was the Busch dive?)

That is the trip we took. I think they only run out to the Busch on Wednesdays. The wreck was pretty cool. We had a great day for it as the current was very mellow.

Looe Key reef (dives 2 and 3) was the highlight for me though. Lots of critters out that day.

Last edited:
That is the trip we took. I think they only run out to the Busch on Wednesdays. The wreck was pretty cool. We had a great day for it as the current was very mellow.

Looe Key reef (dives 2 and 3) was the highlight for me though. Lots of critters out that day.

Good to know! thanks for the info!

Come dive with us at Subtropic Dive Center :) Or, in all fairness, I will say that Lost Reef Adventures is probably my other favourite shop in Key West

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom