Going to Belize - need wetsuit help....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matski

Reaction score
Huge favor to ask you guys...I am going to Belize in three weeks and I need your opinions on a wetsuit. It will be my first trip to a warm water climate. Looking at size charts for the last couple of weeks, reading on here, I decided that Akona and Tilos offer wetsuits that will fit me well. I am a ML in Tilos or L in Akona. I tend to be cold most of the time, especially in water. I was talking to a couple of local divers and they suggested a 5mm suit. I am debating whether a 5mm would be too thick for Belize. I plan to use this suit whenever I would go down south in the future.
I narrowed down my choices to:

5 mm Tilos, it's semi dry, but it's still a wetsuit:
5/4MM TEMPERATE WATER SEMI-DRY SEAL SUIT (Male) [J5048 (Male)] :: Tilos, Inc

and a 3mm Akona:
Welcome to AKONA Adventure Gear!

Considering Belize water temp, me being cold, which one would you guys buy ?? Cost difference is not an issue here since Tilos is only $35 more than Akona.

Thanks in advance

Was in Belize End of December and did all my dives in swim trunks and t-shirt. Only got cool on one dive. Did get a jelly sting or two on my legs.

3mm would be good although one in our group dove dry????

Have a good trip

We were there in Dec 07, and I used a 3 mm, my wife used a 1.5 mm (and she gets cold easily), others on the boat were in various skins/shorties, nothing over 3 mm. Surface temps were 81 deg F then, I think my computer showed 73 deg F at 85 ft or so.
NDBC - Station 42056
The above buoy link says current Yucatan Basin surface temp is 80.6 deg F.
I would say a 3 mm would be fine.
I have the Akona and I really like it. It fits very closely, I have the Large, and I'm 6' 170lb.
Enjoy your Belize diving, we sure did!

A well-fitting 3mm long suit would be fine for most people. Emphasis on "well fitting". If you really feel the cold you might be better with a 5/3 (5mm body, 3mm arms & legs). But lots of people just use shorts and teeshirt. Water temp at present is about 81F.

An alternative if a full 3mm still isn't enough is to wear a rash guard inside it. Adds quite a lot of insulation with minimal bulk.

A semi is a good idea if it's well fitting, but a well fitting wetsuit is warmer than a sloppy semi. Honestly, rather than worrying about what brand and what style, you should be concentrating on getting a suit that's a snug fit, especially around the seals.

a 3mm or a 5 mm. But also consider a beanie. That will help keep you warm. Heat is lost most from the head. I dive a 3mm and wear a Skuib beanie.( ball cap style) Keeps the sun off the head aswell when your on the boat or at the surface chillin.

You have to try on the suit. Size charts are not that accurate. Charts do not consider a beer gut or larger hips. Or a muscular frame.....Where you fit in one area you may not fit in another. Fit is the most important. Look also at a Hyperstrech. This is where this material shines. It fits you in places you need most and fits in places where it is meant to fit..if that makes any sence...BARE and Henderson make nice suits.

enjoy

I agree with Peter, a well fitting 3mm will work quite nicely for most. I get chilled and dive with 4/3 and find it good to waters to about 78 then I am cold.

I was there in December. I wore a swimsuit and shorts for 24 dives in a week. My wife, however, wore a new 5MM and hood and got chilled constantly. We ended most dives after 40-50 minutes with about a half tank of nitrox due to her getting cold. Water was a pretty constant 79F.

It just depends on your cold tolerance.

I had planned to purchase a new 3mm before my trip in May but didn't get around to it.
I wound up diving my 7mm with the zipper part way open. I was quite comfortable.
Have fun!!

I was told that most people dive in a 3mm in Beize and Cozumel. I don't like rubber so am in the same boat (going to Coz this summer) but I am using a 5/4 because if I'm cold, I'm miserable . I considered a 3 mm suit and a 2mm hooded vest if I needed it but decided I didn't want to don a hood. That's why the 5/4. I'm cold though so may be unusual. This Jan I dove in Zihuatanejo and the surface temp was 80 F and at 100 ft the temp dropped to 63 so I used a 5 mm and a hood. Hope this helps!

To the OP, this time of year(March) the water temps should be about 79 to 82 degrees ie I would not go over a 2mm over a set of skins....Now just to be on the safe side, get a 2mm chicken vest, they cost about $25..Now saying this, you may get there & a tongue of 76 degree water may have come in, if this would have accidently happened, you'll be safe with the 2 mm & chicken vest......

Back
Top Bottom