Going solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

...but those that solo'd with out getting a certinication card and then went and got their card, was it worth it? did you learn anything new? or was it just to go with the groups who require the certification card?

There are cards that you can't do without (Certified Diver, Nitrox, Trimix, CCR) and others that are incidental to the learning process (Dry Suit Diver, Boat Diver, Solo Diver). In one you need the card to prove to someone else to rent equipment or take you diving. In the other what you need is the knowledge and experience to maximize safety.

Many of us are not "Certified Solo Divers." If you have the knowledge you need; you got it. No one's going to ask for your solo card. On the other hand, just because you have one doesn't mean anything. The only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

So how do you get the information and training you need to be safe. To be sure, you're best to get the information from someone who dives Solo. Obviously a Solo instructor like Trace is ideal.

Keep in-mind that because someone has an Instructor Card, doesn't mean s/he is competent. It pains me to say this, but it's true. The standards of the diving industry have taken a dump over the years. Ok, I'm off the soapbox....

Trace has already given an excellent post on the subject. But I can't emphasize enough that you don't know what you don't know; and you are the one that has to do the dive in safety.

Although I have dived solo; I've also been a victim. It can happen to you.

Recently took the certification course to become "legal".

Is there any other reason to get the cert? What situations compel a diver to present a Solo Certification before diving?

as far as the cert... i know when i took my ow cert i found out that there was alot that i didnt know that i didnt know. so, not trying to e-certify... what do they teach you in the solo class that they dont teach you. not that they teach you everything in the ow, but those that solo'd with out getting a certinication card and then went and got their card, was it worth it? did you learn anything new? or was it just to go with the groups who require the certification card?

1. Trim, buoyancy, propulsion and streamlining. In my course you'll learn trim, buoyancy, propulsion, frog kicks, modified frog kicks, backward frog kicks, and helicopter turns to help you gain better control of yourself to compliment learning about how to streamline equipment. A good solo course should cover many of the topics a good cavern course would introduce to a student. Just like cavern is the "safety" course for overhead diving, solo diving is the "safety" course for the open water diver whether that diver just wants better self-reliance or wishes to dive alone.

2. Critical skills. In addition to being able to switch to redundant gas supplies and know how to best rig pony bottles (valve down), or better yet, stage carry your pony bottle, or get to see how well a cave or sidemount rig works for a solo diver, it is important to be able to manage the most common failures. Breathing from a freeflowing regulator, being able to clear your second stage of debris by taking it apart underwater, the ability to prevent a runaway ascent of a BCD or drysuit if the inflator gets stuck delivering gas, being able to remove and replace the scuba unit on the bottom, hovering over the bottom, at your safety stop, and on the surface fluidly, safely and proficiently are important. Knowing how long it will take you is important as well. It is also important that solo divers be able to deal with no mask situations and safely surface without a mask while making all safety stops or deco stops and return home without the ability to see or see clearly if a mask or if a back-up mask also become lost or broken.

3. Additional skills. The use of reels, guidelines, ascent lines, DSMB's and safety spools are excellent skills every solo diver should have. Also, the ability to tank valve breathe, create an airpocket "mask" for your eyes, and a heightened sense of environmental, situational and equipment awareness should be fostered. A recent technically trained solo student was shocked to see his OPV/rear dump valve disassembled from his wing and sitting in the palm of my hand.

4. Failures. The ability to manage failures is critical to a solo diver, but having a solo instructor with the ability to create a failures-based course will help you be able to determine the problem and solve it quickly. Having bubbles rush out of your cylinder for the first time on a real dive is much less scary than if you have been able to exsperience intelligent air-gunning in class. Such training will help you decide if you have a tank O-ring failure, a loose low pressure hose, or a leak around the O-ring between your first stage and the valve without having to remove your tank or tanks.

5. Team diving. A good solo diver should know how to create a good buddy team, function effectively as a buddy, and be able to determine when or if a human buddy is necessary. One of the bihggest myths of solo diving is that you have to dive solo due to conditions. That is a skills problem of poor team discipline. Buddy skills are important when you dive with "AL" or "BOB" since your buddy bottle or redundant gas becomes your teammate.

6. Emergency and Contingency Planning. What will you do if you get DCS in a remote area? You may not want that O2 bottle in the trunk, but will need it where you can reach it once you surface. How will you handle survival at sea or whyen exposed to the elements and cold for long periods of time? Can you deal with omitted deco and in-water recompression? Are you trained in self-rescue techniques?

7. Scenarios. These will help you learn what you don't know that you don't know and are FUN - for both student and instructor. This is where you don't want to sacrifice learning for grades. Well-crafted and challenging scenarios in which you must get yourself out of jams will help you know your limits and your stress factors.

8. Dive Planning. "On the Fly" calculations for gas management, decompression planning, the ability to use No-Deco and Deco tables, plan for dives at altitude, and helping others be able to worry about you less will increase your safety and enjoyment.

Keep in-mind that because someone has an Instructor Card, doesn't mean s/he is competent. It pains me to say this, but it's true. The standards of the diving industry have taken a dump over the years. Ok, I'm off the soapbox...

When I did my crossover to SDI/TDI, I thought for sure that I would be able to teach the Solo Diver course. I had taken the SDI Solo course at the diver level with a most excellent cave diving instructor who was SDI/TDI. We did my class in caves where he beat my butt royally. The standards for SDI Solo diver include equipment streamlining, gas management, pony bottles, stage bottles, twin tanks with isolation manifold, independent doubles, safety reels, avoiding entanglements, regulator free-flows, BCD inflator malfunctions, mask problems, unintended deco obligations, use of DSMB's, etc.

You would think that a cave diving instructor, trimix diving instuctor, wreck penetration instructor, and GUE trained diver would know something about these standards - and that having taken the course myself at the diver level would mean something?

Nope. What is the standard to be an SDI Solo Instructor? 21 years of age, 1 year of teaching and 50 certifications issued.

Um ... so this means that an OW instructor with 1 year of teaching experience is qualified to teach solo diving even if he kneels on a platform or the bottom all day with dangling equipment, has never used a pony or a redudant gas source, and has managed to pump out 50 certs because he has minimum standards for education or works in St. Somewhere?

"AAAAAAGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!" To quote Dean Cameron in the movie Summer School, "Tension breaker. Had to be done."

I had wanted to keep my crossover quiet since the dive center that employed me wanted me to be SDI/TDI, but I didn't want to offend the owners of my other affiliates. Therefore, I didn't want to request my certification records which are not available online. At home, I just have the waivers, medicals, etc. None of these are proof of cert.

This issue forced me to create the PDIC Solo Diver program which can be done at both recreational and technical diving levels. There is also a requirement that a physician has to sign the diver off on the RSTC medical even if thyey can claim to check, "No," to all medical issues. I felt this would help separate possible medical causes of drowning from the idea that the diver may have died due to being solo to help promote the acceptance and growth of the activity.

Is there any other reason to get the cert? What situations compel a diver to present a Solo Certification before diving?

Most divers I know want the certification to be able to solo dive in Dutch Springs or other facilities that allow solo diving with proof of certification, but others would like the challenge of learning from an instructor who will run a thorough top notch course to find out what they don't know about solo diving or just to be a better diver.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the prereqs for the SDI Solo instructor, Trace. I also thought it was/is pretty ridiculous. The course doesn't impress me either. While the IANTD Self-Sufficient diver course doesn't have much better requirements to be an instructor (Advanced Nitrox instructors can teach it), at least the course requires twice as many dives and more in water time. I'd like to see SDI revamp their course to make it a course that stands up to what the name implies.

Thanks for posting the prereqs for the SDI Solo instructor, Trace. I also thought it was/is pretty ridiculous. The course doesn't impress me either. While the IANTD Self-Sufficient diver course doesn't have much better requirements to be an instructor (Advanced Nitrox instructors can teach it), at least the course requires twice as many dives and more in water time. I'd like to see SDI revamp their course to make it a course that stands up to what the name implies.

Worse, Rob, I just received my renewal for SDI/TDI and apparently SDI instructors may now teach Intro To Tech if they've completed Advanced Nitrox & Deco.

In Section 20.10 covering in-water drills, the student is supposed to demonstrate no-silting techniques of frog, modified frog, modified flutter, and backwards kicks and the ability to stay in a fixed position in the water column without moving hands and feet. The entire class is much like GUE-Fundies, UTD Essentials, NAUI Intro To Tech and PDIC Tek Prep, but I know few instructors diving at the Advanced Nitrox & Deco level who can do these skills.

While this move is obviously going to be more revenue for dive centers, it may reduce the quality of the program. What I loved most about the idea of joining SDI/TDI was the progressive forward thinking for such courses as Solo and Intro To Tech.

I think I'll call SDI HQ on Monday and discuss the fact that it seems unfair to TDI instructors who have graduated from various high-quality programs within TDI and with other technical agencies, that they cannot teach a course like Solo without generating numbers. An open water instructor can have 6 or more students when a TDI instructor may only have 2 or 3. Since many tech students do not always pass a class at the first go 'round, maintaining personal quality will reduce the number of certs issued. It also isn't fair to TDI instructors who have worked hard to master certain skills to take a course that can be the bread and butter course for a tech instructor, like OW is for an open water scuba instructor, and give it to recreational instructors and dive centers just because it can be a revenue generator.

Good tech instructors will find it more difficult to support themselves and leave teaching for parts unknown further reducing the quality of diver education. The last thing I want is to feel pressured to make a living by certifying people at higher levels in greater numbers. Courses like Solo and Intro To Tech could be to technical instructors, what OW and AOW are to their recreational counterparts. I realize that SDI solo is recreational, but I think the number of certs should be reduced for technical instructors seeking this level.

Unfortunately, dive centers and scuba students do not always know the what to look for in an instructor and do not realize that the quality of the program is what will sell a brand. GUE is an example of this.

Trace, I don't see the point in the 50 certs prereq either. It doesn't prove anything. Neither will having issued less certs. it doesn't affect me or my wife one way or another. We've both issued over 50 certs each, and that's as independent instructors. What they need to require is a minimum number or solo dives (hard to prove though) and a technical rating such as cave, advanced wreck, or trimix. I don't know how many solo OW dives I did, and I don't consider any of them as qualifications to teach a solo/self-sufficient diver course. It's all the solo cave dives I've done either 4000' back into a system or in small no mount passages that make me feel a little qualified. It's a shame the agencies don't see it that way, too.

Trace, I don't see the point in the 50 certs prereq either. It doesn't prove anything. Neither will having issued less certs. it doesn't affect me or my wife one way or another. We've both issued over 50 certs each, and that's as independent instructors. What they need to require is a minimum number or solo dives (hard to prove though) and a technical rating such as cave, advanced wreck, or trimix. I don't know how many solo OW dives I did, and I don't consider any of them as qualifications to teach a solo/self-sufficient diver course. It's all the solo cave dives I've done either 4000' back into a system or in small no mount passages that make me feel a little qualified. It's a shame the agencies don't see it that way, too.

Yes, between what you do in Mexico and the solo cave diving I've done in the Bahamas, we've spent some quiet time in some beautiful tunnels that are a bit complex to navigate with all the T's. It is those cave dives that I feel prepare me more for teaching solo. Added to which is the self-sufficiency to manage dives in remote areas. I used to have to climb the 40 - 50 foot ladder into Owl Hole with stage bottles and buddy bottles. Rather than rope them down, I would strap on my backplate and clip the bolt snaps at the necks of the bottles to my left hip D-ring and climb down. After securing the bottles to the ladder, I'd climb out get my tanks on at the SUV walk back down the trail and return. After the dive, I'd leave the stage/deco bottles, climb out, take my stuff off, return with the backplate and repeat the process in reverse. One day, I realized if I got bent, there would be no way to get the O2 either at Owl Hole or Mermaid's. I realized that solo divers should have first aid and O2 at the ready as soon as they surface. O2 on the rocks at Mermaid's or on the ladder at Owl Hole could be essential. Experience is the best teacher, but the right instructor can launch a diver into a level with a great head start.

The majority of my diving is in North Florida, but you'll rarely find me in a popular cave or in main passage if I am in a popular cave.

Like DCBC , I started Solo on the job. Even over the years as I dove with less experienced divers more and more frequently, I (for all intensive purposes)was diving by myself as some were so green they were more of a 'Hazzard' than 'Help'. I've also lost a little faith in the quality of the overall teaching in the Diving Industry.
When I'm looking around for certification in " anything" I look at the Instructor as well as the Agency then go with the best that I can.(Location usually plays a bigger factor than cost as you can't put a price on your own safety.)
The 'Homework' starts before the course - assessing your abiilty, needs as well as what is available.
Although not every Diving discipline 'needs' certification the more 'quality' training one can get the better.
Thanks Trace for your input.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom