Going solo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

those that solo dive before getting the cert..... how many dives did you do with a buddy before you took the plunge solo? my goal is to solo but i dont want to push it. i know the standard answer is dont go with out the training... but some of you did. so i thought i ask. i know i shouldnt till im comfortable but im curious how many you did before you were comfortable.... thanks

Late reply, but anyway...: My first solo was at age 18, about 10 dives post OW. In hindsight I was certainly not "ready", but obviously I'm still here 33 years later.... so I didn't do anything "terminally stupid" on those early solo dives, and learned a lot (and had a blast).

Many of us (most of us?) do not have a "solo" certification. I do see how it would indeed be valuable in some circumstances (dive boat will allow solo with the card).

I think the training in and of itself would also be valuable.... but I believe that if you need to seek additional training before being ready to solo, you probably shouldn't solo (yet). Get more buddy-dive experience first.

And read TraceMalin's posts, they give a good list of things to consider.

Best wishes.

oh yeah im going to get more dives in before i go solo. and when i do ill do the 20 foot dives and shallow, clear, dove in there before, stuff like that at first and maybe thats all. ill just do what feels right.
thanks for all of the info. i got what i was looking for. when i said i needed training, i ment the certification. but it soulds like you only need it to go solo on some boats.... its not really a training. that you get with time down under right?

Is there any other reason to get the cert? What situations compel a diver to present a Solo Certification before diving?

I webt to mammoth in texas. when i checked in i was asked the id of my buddy. i did not have one. was promptly told i couldnot dive with out a vuddy or a solo card. 100 other divers n the pond and you cann not simply say i will find one.

one day sites will shut you both down when one leaves, untill you document signing on with another group.

nest step solo cert or dont dive..... the site manager teaches solo. hmmm.....that will be 300 for the course 500 for gear and 20 for park access. 3 hours of class, pool, and pond time and your done. it now cost you 1000 for a weekend of diving. and 80% goes to the pond owner.

on weekends it is usually easy to get a buddy try the week day diving. you can sit in a shop all morning waiting for another group of solo to show up.

take a dive vacation 200 miles 4-5 days diving in a 50 acre pond of adventure and you cant get wet because you did not cme with someone else with the same week off of work to be your buddy.

i would guess some of the ocean trips will start to ask for solo cards to go as part of reducing thier insurnce costs. or have to take a refresher course or show a master card. its only a matter of time.

thats why i want the solo cert.

Back
Top Bottom