Going sidemount but....?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What is your motivation for wanting to dive sidemount for DM or instructor training? I think if you're teaching (especially open water), the different gear configuration would be a big hinderance with little or no value. Also, unless you're working with a shop who caters to tech divers, you may have a hard time finding DIN valves on your travels.

JF, I think you might want to rethink this a bit. Ensure you are in touch with the schools you'll be training with first. Ask them about training in SM, more than likely you'll get a no and you'll complete the courses in backmount and then maybe a sidemount specialty afterwards. Gear is available locally, saving you from making a rushed (poor) decision and spending more than you have too. Often there are deals to be found from staff that are there already. You may find out that using SM gear isn't as popular as you might think and teaching/assisting in SM to BM customers has its down falls. Just my 2 PSI.

It was an issue of practicality. Since I have all of my backmount gear at home, and I want to start diving sidemount, I simple do not want to buy an equipment that I already have! Hence my original plan to buy a hybrid system.

But I agree with your point...teaching OW while in sidemount, a little strange, again hence my hesitation and questions!

Thanks for all your input by the way!

It was an issue of practicality. Since I have all of my backmount gear at home, and I want to start diving sidemount, I simple do not want to buy an equipment that I already have! Hence my original plan to buy a hybrid system.

But I agree with your point...teaching OW while in sidemount, a little strange, again hence my hesitation and questions!

Thanks for all your input by the way!

I really do not see a problem with you taking your DM and IDC in sidemount, you will need to be creative and support demonstrations with more explanation, but that can be turned to everyones advantage. Exposing students to different configurations during training makes for a better trained, and more informed diver. Your instructor and CD would need to be very familiar with the SM config, past that I cannot see why it would be an issue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom