Going PRO in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You've not missed much. As a lowly Instructor from a Pattaya IDC, on my last trip back to UK I did sign up for, and do, a dry suit course (although, to be fair in the English Channel, or rather Plymouth).

I have to be honest here, the dry suit took me at least 5 minutes to get the hang of, but I perservered. I added on a few "pleasure dives" (my masochistic streak I think). I saw some fish. And a couple of crabs, and some seaweed. Well, OK a lot of seaweed. I did see an awesome wreck to be fair (forget off hand which one) a US liberty boat sunk in WWII. It was huge, and had as much marine life on it as about 2 square meters of the hardeep.

Vizibility was a treacherous 20 meters plus. As a regular pattaya diver I almost got vertigo from seeing so far.

So you do one dive and a drysuit course and write it off, what about all the basking shark and dolphins around the uk coast that are frequently seen by divers, have you ever dived with seals? It's great fun. Many wrecks I have dived are abundant with marine life. etc etc etc. Who did you dive with? did they have your interests or only their proffit in mind?
The diving around the UK is so varied, believe me, having done well in excess of 1000 dives at many locations, you will see much more than you will diving in pattaya if you persevere with it. And yes due to the weather you will also get many days cancelled and do many dives that are far from perfect.
but it is worth perseveringbecause when it is good, it can be far better than anything you will see in pattaya.
My advice if you do dive in the uk is to join a good club rather than diving with people who have a commercial interest in diving. you will generally but not always get a much better experience.
Sounds to me that you possibly dived the Egan Layne just to the west of plymouth sound? if that is the case there are infinitely better wrecks to dive on, but most plymouth operators as pattaya use the closer dive sites to save money and this wreck can be dived at any state of tide if you so wish.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom