White Lotus in Thailand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ski_Lounge

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The new season 3 of White Lotus is set in Thailand. I'm really happy for that; Thailand is a beautiful country with friendly people, and well worth visiting for both diving & exploration, and they definitely deserve the attention. But I'm concerned if this going to lead to an explosion of obnoxious tourists, especially in Koh Samui, which is a smaller island. Phuket & Pattaya in particular already have neighborhoods known for rowdy tourist behavior, but it is slightly better on the less well known islands. What are your thoughts? Are you more or less likely to go to Thailand now with the increased publicity, and likely increased costs from the additional influx of tourists?

I would hardly describe Samui as a 'smaller island'; it is Thailand's second largest island after Phuket, with hundreds of square kilometers in land area and population in the tens of thousands. A 'smaller island' would be something like Koh Lipe or Koh Samet.

Thailand does not need any introduction when it comes to tourism. It has been on the tourist's trail for many yrs. I first visited the Kingdom in 1988 and the country was already a well known holiday destination.
"Obnoxious" tourist? I met them from time to time everywhere. So I do not see why the setting of a TV series will attract more of them to Thailand. But it certainly will attract those who believing in "famous".
"search for Thailand on Expedia has jumped 50%"......for real or just a promotional BS.
"Obnoxious"? There are appropriate words for "them" but it will get delated by the MOD.

There are already waaaaay too many tourists visiting Thailand...please go someplace else!

Far too many poor expats(cheap Charlie) are living in the Kingdom.
Expats living on the income from scuba diving rely more or less totally on foreign tourists.
I have been on numerous diving trips in the Kingdom and I rarely met local divers.
Without foreign tourist, most if not all dive operators would have to pull down the shutter for good.
Close down all those savory places where certain gender preferred all over the country.
I might stay at Patong Beach again.

I just got back from Thailand, mobbed by tourists at the markets buying street food and “stuff” and paying to mob all the temples and other sites, buying coverings from street vendors,: so I’m thinking tourism is feeding a lot of families there.

I just got back from Thailand, mobbed by tourists at the markets buying street food and “stuff” and paying to mob all the temples and other sites, buying coverings from street vendors,: so I’m thinking tourism is feeding a lot of families there.
A lot of families including expats as well.
It is really pathetic for an expat in Thailand saying NO to tourism. What right has it got? Nothing, purely jealousy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom