Going Iberostar Week Before Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There was a uniformed person on the pier that we are believing was an Iberostar employee. He asked for our room number one day as we were getting on the boat to leave. We thought at that point the fee would charged to our room, but it was not.

I went with Dive with Martin a couple of years ago and on the boat I was on forty minute dives and forty minute safety stops was the standard. On my last day I transferred to another DWM boat/divemaster and the dive time and SS were more reasonable.

I've never had an issue with DwM and have enjoyed the dives. I would not be happy with a 40 minute dive either.

My family and I stayed at Iberostar at the beginning of August and dove with Tres Pelicanos. We were picked up each morning from the pier and were not charged a pier fee (although we had been told by TP that there would be a fee we had to pay at the hotel). Several other operators picked up from the pier as well, including Dive With Martin, and there was at least one water pick up by another operator. If there is a fee, no one seemed to be enforcing it and the boat captains from Dressel and outside operators seemed to be cooperative in picking up divers/loading boats so that everyone could get out diving. My mom had an email from Iberostar stating that there was no fee to their guests for the use of the pier. Dive With Martin could probably confirm for you if they are charged a fee that you'd have to cover.

Paddi with DwM was the one that told me there would be a $3.50 per person per day charge for dock pick up.

forty minute safety stops
Now that would be boring, after the irritation of 40 minute max dives.

My mom had an email from Iberostar stating that there was no fee to their guests for the use of the pier.
Odd compared to other information.

Now that would be boring, after the irritation of 40 minute max dives.
The sacrifice you have to make for a 40 minute safety stop. :)
It was annoying. The DM on the second boat told me for the next visit to ask for him by name.
The best experience I've had with operators on CZM was with Tres Pelicanos. I'll be diving again with them again in October. DWM is cheaper and starts earlier than the competition, but for me a dive vacation is 95% about diving.

I don’t even know how you would do a 40 min safety stop...was there no current? You were basically down for an hour and 20 mins? 40 min dive and 40 min safety stop?....not sure I even understand the theory/causation behind a 40 min safety stop...

I don’t even know how you would do a 40 min safety stop...was there no current? You were basically down for an hour and 20 mins? 40 min dive and 40 min safety stop?....not sure I even understand the theory/causation behind a 40 min safety stop...
You're right... it was a dry land safety Stop. ... aka Surface interval. My level for Narcosis has climbed to +2730'.

I can’t prove it because the dives have long since scrolled off my PCs memory, but I have had a couple of dives go 1:20 in Cozumel. Yes, I spent 15 min at 15 ft, but nonetheless 1:20. In Socorro this year, we did long safety stops with sharks passing by. Socorro dives maxed out at 45-45 min though.

I can’t prove it because the dives have long since scrolled off my PCs memory, but I have had a couple of dives go 1:20 in Cozumel. Yes, I spent 15 min at 15 ft, but nonetheless 1:20. In Socorro this year, we did long safety stops with sharks passing by. Socorro dives maxed out at 45-45 min though.

Sure..I’m not questioning the potential duration of the dive...I did a 2 hour 11min dive at salt pier last week, it was the ‘40 min safety stop’ aspect that was confusing, although that has now been clarified as a surface interval, so makes sense. :)

What's a reasonable price to pay for Enriched Gas cert? Dressel has free Nitrox and I'm thinking of taking advantage of it since you can do most of it online.

Also, where's the best spot or do it on-site?

Back
Top Bottom