Going Iberostar Week Before Christmas

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm feeling pretty lazy and may just do Dressel for the fact they leave later. Hopefully things won't be too stirred up and vis will be decent.

I should add that one think I quite liked about the dressel boat was that it had a big area in the centre, which is very welcome for my camera rig.

I think there was one dive where there were 3 groups of 6...maybe..but more likely 2 groups of 6 + guides.

Personally I didn’t find it crowded as the boat isn’t small. No issues getting in, no crowding or long line holding in the water and I didn’t feel crowded getting out...etc.

I’ve had better and I’ve had worse..but if I was staying at the resort and hadn’t been diving in Cozumel a lot, was flexible with dive sites, I wouldn’t bother with an alternate op and the hassle.

On reflection though, I do recall a couple of guys ‘huffing and puffing’ on one dive about how everything should be done....a bit of ‘tutting and eyebrow raising’ and there were some German regulars who were a bit ‘clique-y’ but I generally just ignore that for the most part. There were probably more rookies than anything, but they weren’t in the ‘experienced group’ and I don’t mind rookies on a boat to be honest...they are usually just like kids on the first day of school. Quiet and out of the way.

Perhaps book ahead for 1 day with them and then after the first dive( as they come back to the dock between dives), if you don’t like it, book another op for the next day.

Haha, your mistake is thinking it was only I that made the decision. The non-swimmer wife likes the smaller place that Iberostar is and the boat rides for diving are so short.

Not that it was anything you asked about in your original post, I’d say you both made a great decision and don’t need to defend going to an AI. Iberostar/Dressel is pretty far south and AI makes since (even if you have a rental car or like riding in taxis) especially since you are getting a deal.

Like others have indicated, for convenience, Dressel makes sense. Did a package with Dressel from the mainland which included a day in Coz. On that day, we dove a couple of sights I’d done in the past with a different dive op, but it was all good. Dressel was very organized and the staff and DM in Coz were very good and helpful. As the AI was also included for the day at the Iberostar, I can say that the food was also very good, at least on that day. Big boat, but we only had 5 or 6 divers, and unlike what was mentioned in a previous post, we did our surface interval on the boat. If you book ahead of time, you can get a 20% discount. Do this well in advance as you have to email them to get the prices on their dives/packages. You’ll have a great time no matter who you dive with.

I'm feeling pretty lazy and may just do Dressel for the fact they leave later. Hopefully things won't be too stirred up and vis will be decent.

I wont try to change your mind, but DWM is really good.

David is perhaps the most entertaining DM I've met.

You’ve seen the swim-through water rings… Haha

AI versus non-AI. We do AI about 1 in 10 visits and always love it. I wouldn't advise it to someone who rarely goes there or has never been because there are so many great local restaurants to try and so much culture on the island to experience and enjoy. But every now and then we like to be lazy.

It's not that I don’t like the IDEA of AI, I guess in my older age I have become grossed out by buffets… The food is sitting there getting old, handled by the masses, sneezed on or visited by flies… I think the last AI I did was Jamaica 2014 and Sandals/Beaches both have good AI food. So there are exceptions.

I wont try to change your mind, but DWM is really good.

It's not that I don’t like the IDEA of AI, I guess in my older age I have become grossed out by buffets… The food is sitting there getting old, handled by the masses, sneezed on or visited by flies… I think the last AI I did was Jamaica 2014 and Sandals/Beaches both have good AI food. So there are exceptions.

Yes, I've used DwM on my previous trips but vacation is about less hassle and easier. Dressel may cost me more but at this point in my life I don't have to have the absolute lowest price any more. I do like supporting the smaller business against the corporate types when I can.

Yes, I've used DwM on my previous trips but vacation is about less hassle and easier. Dressel may cost me more but at this point in my life I don't have to have the absolute lowest price any more. I do like supporting the smaller business against the corporate types when I can.

If they offer small group trips max of 8, I say go for it. I see so many large boats out there, and always think about how they'll probably scare everything away. Me personally, i go the extra mile and pay a little extra to avoid a crowded boat/dive.

Have a great trip!

I went with Dive with Martin a couple of years ago and on the boat I was on forty minute dives and forty minute safety stops was the standard. On my last day I transferred to another DWM boat/divemaster and the dive time and SS were more reasonable.

My family and I stayed at Iberostar at the beginning of August and dove with Tres Pelicanos. We were picked up each morning from the pier and were not charged a pier fee (although we had been told by TP that there would be a fee we had to pay at the hotel). Several other operators picked up from the pier as well, including Dive With Martin, and there was at least one water pick up by another operator. If there is a fee, no one seemed to be enforcing it and the boat captains from Dressel and outside operators seemed to be cooperative in picking up divers/loading boats so that everyone could get out diving. My mom had an email from Iberostar stating that there was no fee to their guests for the use of the pier. Dive With Martin could probably confirm for you if they are charged a fee that you'd have to cover.

I went with Dive with Martin a couple of years ago and on the boat I was on forty minute dives and forty minute safety stops was the standard. On my last day I transferred to another DWM boat/divemaster and the dive time and SS were more reasonable.

WOW – 40 minutes, I’d be wrapping up at 1200 psi… Was that a requirement to go up at 40 min?

If there is a fee, no one seemed to be enforcing it

They do enforce at Secrets pier fyi – the guy is there all day long.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom