Going back to GC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

caymaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
We are going to GC in about 6 weeks, we haven't stayed in about 10 years. We are hoping it isn't insanely busy.

Our first trip to GC was in 1980, there were only three places to stay on GC and no condos. There was the Cayman Islander, the Palms and the Holiday Inn. The only restaurant other than at the hotels was the Lobster Pot. The Treasure Island Resort was an abandoned unfinished project. There was a dirt road (two track) along side of the Treasure Island resort where the locals kept a 18 ft dingy to fish and launched off from 7 mile beach. There were areas on 7 mile beach that were empty and only bushes, there was no Sting Ray City, no cruise ships came to GC.

This is where I first snorkeled with Bob Sotos (the only outfit available), this is what got me excited about diving. After this trip I went home and became certified.
We usually stay on the Brac or Little Cayman but thought this year we would try GC again....maybe I'm nuts as we certainly enjoy the quiet of the Sisters.

You won't recognize the place. Our first trip was in '88. Longing for the good old days. Thank God for the Brac.

where are you staying? It's still possible to get quiet on GC - or not.

I think you're going to be in for a surprise...

where are you staying? It's still possible to get quiet on GC - or not.

Not probably possible, staying at a condo on 7 mile. Maybe it won't be all that busy since the economy is down all over the world and especially in the U.S. Last time as we passed through on the way to the Brac (3yrs.) ago it was an insane mess.
Weve been to Hawaii twice since then and found Maui quiet enough but the Big Island was really nice.

It's not that you can't have a great vacation with it being busy but now I have more of the way of Brac in my head and now I wishI was headed to LC or the Brac instead.
It's too late for that now so we'll just have to report it as it happens and go realizing that this is what happens with progress...if you call the business progress as I'm sure the businesses on GC like it. I'm thinking it will be more like the "nutso" Cozumel, a few years ago on Bonaire we found we were so disappointed with the way the hurricane surge trashed Klien Bonaire but the worst of it was there were cruise ships arriving at regular intervals

Hi my name is Lisa and I'm an instructor down here in Cayman and 7 mile beach isn't that busy and there is no more Hilton. Most of the people vacationing here now (Jan-Apr) are from canada or Cold US states. They tend to come down here for a month or two at a time and stay in the condos and dive or play golf. If you run into a problem this time of the year it is the weather. Cold fronts are moving in and out daily and we keep having to move the boats from the south to the west then back south, but don't get me wrong it is still warm and the water is a solid 80 degrees. Visability is great and aquatic life abundant. There are alot more restaurants to choose from also. Sunshine Suites really does have the best burger and Fish taco's, also the salads and sandwichs at EATS are good and reasonably priced.

The crowd problem is not with those staying on island but when the cruise ships come into port. We had 5 ships one day and 6 the next with each ship holding about 3000 people...But if you get in the water in the am and go diving you miss most of the cruise ship stuff. The cruisers are usually back on ship by about 3:00 and the ships are gone by 5:00 unlike cozumel where they stay in port till midnight with crazy drunks at senor frogs. Would love to take you diving petermilburnsdivecayman.com Staying warm Lisa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom