Go Sport Spring Straps

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Go Travel fins now have about 60 dives and I have been happy with the bungie straps that came on them. My buddy, however, experienced a strap pin break after 4 dives. We did a temporary fix with a zip-tie, but when I returned from the trip I decided I needed colored straps to differentiate my fins from other divers. I also found a better way to affix the straps, using a barrel bolt and nut (also called "sex bolt" if you need to search online). The smallest barrel nut I could find was 3/16" at Boltdepot.com. They sell them in small quantity and also sell the matching bolt. In order to get the original plastic pins out, I had to cut them with a wire snipper. The holes in the plastic end piece of the strap are 3mm, so they need to be made a tiny bit larger to fit the barrel nut. I did this with a pen-tip butane soldering iron. You only need to do one side of the strap end piece, to fit the barrel nut. The barrel nut will slide into the hole in the rubber fin without any trouble. The shaft of the bolt is smaller than the nut, so no need to modify the hole on the other side of the strap end piece. I also added a drop of thread locker, and I feel they are very secure now.
IMG_1013.jpgIMG_1012.jpg

I have SP Go Sports as well and although I love them, the non-interchangeable straps concern me a bit. For going on a trip, should I just buy a second set in case a strap breaks?
I bought a spare strap but haven't needed it yet in 100 dives.

I like the bungee straps and especially the HD version on the Gorrilla. I have no intention of adding the weight and discomfort of a heavy spring. The plastic pins are easy to remove. They just push out. I may get around to replacing them with a barrel bolt or metal pin but now having used these fins for several years and a number of dive friends having them also, they have proven themselves not to be failure prone. But I will say again, if you are going some place where you are in a pickle if a strap where to break, carry a spare set.
My feet are too heavy as it is, or my gut is too buoyant. I'll go with the feet are too heavy story.

I bought a spare strap but haven't needed it yet in 100 dives.
Can't hurt to have a spare. They are getting pretty popular, maybe share a set with a friend with the same style of fin (so you each have one back up). The MIDI size fits sizes XS - XL so pretty forgiving on the size range. The pins are a b%&ch to get out and in, but I replaced with a barrel nut & bolt.

Thanks very much, for the educating, regarding barrel bolts chief
I've seen em used in books but I have never seen em used in sex

What giggling fool, would use some sort of crude name like that

Back
Top Bottom