Go Pro or ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajunky17

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
HI all,
I am wandering if GOPro is still the benchmark for underwater video shooting ? Is there anything to rival it ? I don't want anything large, I want something compact and convenient, like a GoPro. I think GoPro is overpriced though, is there anything which is comparable ?
Thanks in advance

As a long time GoPro user, I've been impressed from what I've seen of the DJI Action 4. That would be the obvious rival. I don't think these cameras are overpriced for what they can do, but this is subjective. No doubt, you could buy something off AliExpress that would probably do a reasonable job with fewer bells and whistles.

Thanks for your input.

I've been using the SJCams for years. Very inexpensive, easy to use. I have an SJ 4000 and a 5000. Both are darn near indestructible. I haven't found filter that work for them, though.
This is from the SJ5000

From all practical point of view, specs, support, accessories, etc., I'd buy the latest version of the GoPro and not have to worry about anything. I was considering the DJI Action 4 myself but I went back to the GoPro. The GoPro will sit atop of my photography camera. I'll use the GoPro to learn and practice U/W video for a while until I know what I am doing then move on to a better mirrorless camera that can do both, photo and video (I know nothing about video at this point).

From all practical point of view, specs, support, accessories, etc., I'd buy the latest version of the GoPro and not have to worry about anything. I was considering the DJI Action 4 myself but I went back to the GoPro. The GoPro will sit atop of my photography camera. I'll use the GoPro to learn and practice U/W video for a while until I know what I am doing then move on to a better mirrorless camera that can do both, photo and video (I know nothing about video at this point).

The principles are not that different from underwater still photography. Get close, then even closer! Light is important, unless recording the sun (Snell's window), get sunlight behind you. At depth, natural light needs to be replaced with artificial light. You need to mess around with video light angles and power to make your subject look the best and yes, backscatter can be an issue! For the most part, keep the camera still unless you want your audience to experience motion sickness!

The principles are not that different from underwater still photography. Get close, then even closer! Light is important, unless recording the sun (Snell's window), get sunlight behind you. At depth, natural light needs to be replaced with artificial light. You need to mess around with video light angles and power to make your subject look the best and yes, backscatter can be an issue! For the most part, keep the camera still unless you want your audience to experience motion sickness!

Thank you for the tips.

What really intimidates me is the post processing involved in videography. It appears to be much more complex than still photography. Also, there are many terms I don't understand such as: LUT, codecs, logs, fps and other terms I don't remember (I am not sure that I used the right spelling for the acronyms here). I am the type that wants to know and understand all technical terms and how they are used from the beginning :)

Thank you for the tips.

What really intimidates me is the post processing involved in videography. It appears to be much more complex than still photography. Also, there are many terms I don't understand such as: LUT, codecs, logs, fps and other terms I don't remember (I am not sure that I used the right spelling for the acronyms here). I am the type that wants to know and understand all technical terms and how they are used from the beginning :)

The good news is that everything is so dumbed down now that you don't have to understand. Assuming you have the computing power, shoot in something like 4K 60fps. Provided you get the lighting, stability and framing right when you shoot, there isn't too much post-processing to be done, select your clips (shorter is better!), put them together and add your favourite music. Obviously, there could be a whole lot more to it, but there doesn't have to be. I understand that you want to understand everything, but that will come with time, as will success. Prepare for your first attempts to be disappointing!

EDIT: The video in my signature was shot entirely on a GoPro Hero 3. Damn, it was hard work to make anything look good in those days. No electronic image stabilisation! Lots of processing.

Back
Top Bottom