GLWC Fall MnG

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Key word in this paragraph is PONY. You originally went to this set up you thought. So you could get rid of your pony. I didnt no you went back to using your pony. My bad.. Still I would like to see a man of your age reach back and try and turn off your proper valve. Im a lot younger than you and I cant reach my valves.

You are correct. I figured that most freezes take place in the second stage; first stages don't freeze up that much; thus I thought I could shed the pony since I have the cutoff and a backup 2nd stage. However, on second thought, if the first stage does freeze with an H valve, I could have a problem. So, I decided to still sling the pony for peace of mind. Yes, I am now married to my pony.

Well if your married to your Pony I wouldnt even spend the extra money on the H-Valve. I would just put a regular Valve on it. you have a free flow you breath off it start to surface until it is out of air then switch to your pony. Think about it. You have a free flow or a Freeze up you going to surface any way dive is over... At least it should be.

You are correct. I figured that most freezes take place in the second stage; first stages don't freeze up that much; thus I thought I could shed the pony since I have the cutoff and a backup 2nd stage. However, on second thought, if the first stage does freeze with an H valve, I could have a problem. So, I decided to still sling the pony for peace of mind. Yes, I am now married to my pony.

I hate to disagree with Denny, 'cause he's one of my favorites by far ... but ... free flows actually occur in the 1st stage, not the second. The first stage is where the most dramatic change in pressure occurs. That's why diving sealed 1st stages is so critical in cold water. The design of the 1st stage also plays a big part. I would not be comfortable diving cold and deep without some form of redundant 1st stage. Maybe that's a pony bottle, maybe it's a single tank with an H-valve, for me it's doubles with an isolation manifold (now ... used to be a pony before I went to doubles).

The free flow is manifested in the 2nd stage, but they almost always (perhaps always always) occur in the 1st stage.

Well if your married to your Pony I wouldnt even spend the extra money on the H-Valve. I would just put a regular Valve on it. you have a free flow you breath off it start to surface until it is out of air then switch to your pony. Think about it. You have a free flow or a Freeze up you going to surface any way dive is over... At least it should be.

The reason I'm staying with the H valve on my next setup is because I already have one setup on my 119. When I was at Toby, I had to switch my backup 2nd stage to my primary 1st stage because the 120 tank I borrowed had only one Din; It was kind of a pain because we only had about 30 min SI. With 2 HP 119's both having H valves, all I have to do is move my rig to the second cylinder, not change out the regs. In my opinion, any freeze up, and the dive is over.

I hate to disagree with Denny, 'cause he's one of my favorites by far ... but ... free flows actually occur in the 1st stage, not the second. The first stage is where the most dramatic change in pressure occurs. That's why diving sealed 1st stages is so critical in cold water. The design of the 1st stage also plays a big part. I would not be comfortable diving cold and deep without some form of redundant 1st stage. Maybe that's a pony bottle, maybe it's a single tank with an H-valve, for me it's doubles with an isolation manifold (now ... used to be a pony before I went to doubles).

The free flow is manifested in the 2nd stage, but they almost always (perhaps always always) occur in the 1st stage.

I'm sure you're right, Jim; thus I am married to my pony. Your correction just reinforces it. Thanks. If I was younger, I would probably go to 100 doubles. I know I could handle them now, I just don't want to having grabbed hold of Bone Crusher's a few times when we loaded the charter at Toby. Also, I would probably go with BP/wing---more $$$$ Does it ever end??!!

Greetings Denny you know the answer to the "does it ever end?" Of coarse it does when you just surrender and put the cash down! I am just saying........well at least that is how it goes for me.
I happend to have aset of HP 100's if you would like to dive them some time let me know. I can get you in and comfy then do a little dive to test them out.
Personally I could not think of another set of doubles to recommend for you.
I have loved diving mine up at Lake Huron, they are great on the boat or the trip in and out of the truck.

I am still planning on coming to the MG just not sure of what days. Work and family obligations are pretty intense at this time.
Have fun and safe diving.

CamG Keep diving....Keep training....Keep learning!

Denny... Just keep in mind, you don't have to answer to anyone about your gear choices. As long as you are comfortable, confident, and can manaage your gear, you are all set. Everyone has their own reasons for diving the gear they do. I have come to love my doubled 100's. I feel the best trim in that setup. Because of that, I will dive the double 100's on the boat in Huron even if we are diving the Strong in 20 feet of water.

Last weekend out on the boat, there was a couple that was diving HP80's with H valves and slung ponies. They were a good pair and obiviously had good skills. It made me smile seeing other divers with your setup. Dive what makes you happy!!!! :D

Good news folks (for those that don't already know via Facebook) ... I landed a job!! The best part is that it's in Indy so we don't need to pull up roots and relocate! I'll definitely be at the Meet and Greet.

Let's see ... what to bring? I'll buy a couple loads of wood for sure. Looks like we need chips to go along with Denny's sausages. I'll bring an assortment to share. I'll also think of something homemade to bring as well, but not yet sure what.

I'm not sure what time I'll be there. If I've not yet started the job (I have to wait for my security clearance to come through), I'll be there Friday morning. If I've already started, I'll either be coming in Friday night or more likely Saturday morning.

Bad News... I going to have to cancel on myself coming to the M&G. It looks like my transfer is going to come through and I'll be in Hawaii by the end of the year so I need to save what money I have. Plus since i'm not renewing my current lease, I need to be out of my apartment by october 31 so I'll be using what available time I have this money to prep for moving my stuff into a storage pod.

I've bought the cheesecake if anybody will be in the GR area and wants to pick it up?

M&G Spring 2011 - Oahu!

Bad News... I going to have to cancel on myself coming to the M&G. It looks like my transfer is going to come through and I'll be in Hawaii by the end of the year so I need to save what money I have. Plus since i'm not renewing my current lease, I need to be out of my apartment by october 31 so I'll be using what available time I have this money to prep for moving my stuff into a storage pod.

I've bought the cheesecake if anybody will be in the GR area and wants to pick it up?

M&G Spring 2011 - Oahu!

Sorry to hear that MrSmitty; we're really going to miss.....those cheesecakes.....just kidding:D We will miss you more. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate. However, concerning the cheesecakes---if any one can pick them up and bring them, that would be great. I will have a moment of silence in memory of the absent MrSmitty as we devour them. I love your idea of M & G in Hawaii in 2011.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom