GLWC Fall Meet-n-Greet XXX

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I heard it was at Portage this year. Is that true??

Straits of Mackinac Shipwreck Preserve sounds good to me

Do they have a plane?? I'm only going somewhere they have a plane.

The problem with Haigh is there is no onsite camping. IMO ... for a M&G to really work you absolutely have to have onsite camping. That rules out Haigh, which stinks because I really like Haigh.

Other options are White Star and France Park. While White Star is an awesome quarry, the camping is not right next to the quarry. That creates significant logistical issues.

With France Park you both have the issue that the camping isn't right next to the quarry and that it's 25 ft deep and you can see EVERYTHING in one dive. After that it's not a very exciting place to dive. Also, their fill operation is less then dependable. Good, quick fills are a must.

There simply is no other option that works anywhere close to as well as Gilboa that's even close to being in the right area. The only other top candidate would be Mermet Springs but being in southern IL it's even further for most folks.

If you can come up with another site that (1) has good viz, (2) has enough variety and depth ranges to meet all possible levels of diving, (3) is located in the target area (4) has on-site camping, (5) has high quality fills and (6) has lotsa fish, then I'd say we'd have another option to consider. The problem is that no such site exists. Therefore ... it's at Gilboa.

maybe we should have a summer M & G up north by the straits, we could envade a nice campground then do some charter boat dives on the wrecks.

Nate

I'm all for that. I think of that more as a GLWC Group Trip, but it's a good idea.

The problem with doing that as a M&G is that a M&G requires options that allow 30+ folks to dive off and on over 3 days at their own convenience. IMO that rules out GL charters.

Again, I think it's an awesome idea. I love diving the Lakes and get out on them 2-4 times a season. It's just that I don't see how that would work as a M&G. But as a group trip for 10-15 people ... awesome!

I would attend a Straits trip, if I am available when it would occur.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom