Glue on pockets vs pocket shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mike.D

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Pro's/Con's/Experiences/Suggestions?

Cheers

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preference is for the pocket shorts. I currently own a 7mm with glued on pockets and a 5mm that I use with pocket shorts. My preference is for the shorts.

Glue on pockets:
-One issue with the glued on pockets is that you have to empty them in order to undress. The pockets will also reduce the amount of available stretch in the material of the leg, which makes dressing and undressing harder. I have an older Pinnacle semi-dry that is pretty stiff, which makes donning and doffing a bit of a fight anyway, and then the pockets just make it harder.

Pocket shorts:
-With the pocket shorts you can just pull the shorts off and throw them in the rinse bucket then hang them up to dry or throw them in your bag. All your stuff stays in the same place until you're at home and completely unpack.
-You can use the same ones on any suit you use.

Now, the pro of the glue on pockets. They look AWESOME! The pocket shorts, otherwise known as "geek shorts", are kinda geeky looking... Once you're suited up people will be in awe of the sheer awesomeness of your suit.

In the end, on my next suit I'll probably just leave it plain and use pocket shorts. I do love how the glue on pockets look, but the shorts are just so much more convenient for me that it's worth it.

My preference is for the pocket shorts. I currently own a 7mm with glued on pockets and a 5mm that I use with pocket shorts. My preference is for the shorts.

Glue on pockets:
-One issue with the glued on pockets is that you have to empty them in order to undress. The pockets will also reduce the amount of available stretch in the material of the leg, which makes dressing and undressing harder. I have an older Pinnacle semi-dry that is pretty stiff, which makes donning and doffing a bit of a fight anyway, and then the pockets just make it harder.

Pocket shorts:
-With the pocket shorts you can just pull the shorts off and throw them in the rinse bucket then hang them up to dry or throw them in your bag. All your stuff stays in the same place until you're at home and completely unpack.
-You can use the same ones on any suit you use.

Now, the pro of the glue on pockets. They look AWESOME! The pocket shorts, otherwise known as "geek shorts", are kinda geeky looking... Once you're suited up people will be in awe of the sheer awesomeness of your suit.

In the end, on my next suit I'll probably just leave it plain and use pocket shorts. I do love how the glue on pockets look, but the shorts are just so much more convenient for me that it's worth it.

Hi jwelburn,

Thanks for the write up. Just a few questions,

Does the shorts ride up at all? Do the bottoms flair out/baggy or is it pretty tight fitting?

Cheers

Mike

These are my thoughts.

Pocket shorts - one extra step when donning/doffing each time you get into/get out of the water. Troublesome when doing multiple dives a day on a boat.
Glued on shorts - No extra steps needed. May not be as robust.

I use a Bare Velocity and it's very easy to wear and take off.

Thanks WhiteSands. Do the short stay pretty streamlined while diving or flap around?

We have X-shorts. I don't believe they are made any more. Ours sit quite neatly on the leg -- they do not flap.

My husband has chosen to glue pockets on his wetsuit. It does make getting the suit off more difficult, and the process of inverting the suit to remove it stresses the glue significantly. However, he does not have to remember to take, or to put on, his X-shorts. (Says Lynne, who ended up in the water during a class, having forgotten to don hers . . . )

I have glued on DiveRite bellows pockets on a 3 mil wetsuit and find them pretty convenient; however, I don't have to wear different exposure suits.
I do miss them when I'm diving in the heat of the South Florida summer and I'm just wearing a rash guard and shorts, but I don't think I'd wear the pocket shorts over my shorts either.

I recently saw a pair of these which made me reconsider my glued on choice:
Amazon.com: Highland 2mm Super Stretch Neoprene Pocket Shorts: Sports & Outdoors

41-byYlhePL._SY450_.jpg

I've got the Scubapro shorts. They are quite comfortable, but the pockets are a little small. You can get a backup mask and wetnotes in one pocket and SMB and spool in the other pretty easily, but they don't allow much room for much more than that. I don't take them off between dives unless I'm taking the whole wetsuit off. They're comfortable enough that I don't notice them, even for the time between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom