Glue on pockets vs pocket shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ooo their pretty nice! Shame its all velcro straps though. $65 is pretty good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's bad about Velcro? Lot of dive gear use Velcro, don't they? Just asking, 'cos I genuinely don't know.

It's 65 Singapore Dollars, which is approximately 52 USD. I wonder if any other manufacturer makes them though. Googling "neoprene cowboy pants" doesn't get me any similar results.

I am not affiliated with the store, btw.

Velcro can wear out and loses its stickyness after a while. I'm gonna buy one and stitch the leg bits together with elastic so i can just stretch them on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My preference is for the pocket shorts. I currently own a 7mm with glued on pockets and a 5mm that I use with pocket shorts. My preference is for the shorts.

Glue on pockets:
-One issue with the glued on pockets is that you have to empty them in order to undress. The pockets will also reduce the amount of available stretch in the material of the leg, which makes dressing and undressing harder. I have an older Pinnacle semi-dry that is pretty stiff, which makes donning and doffing a bit of a fight anyway, and then the pockets just make it harder.

Pocket shorts:
-With the pocket shorts you can just pull the shorts off and throw them in the rinse bucket then hang them up to dry or throw them in your bag. All your stuff stays in the same place until you're at home and completely unpack.
-You can use the same ones on any suit you use.

Now, the pro of the glue on pockets. They look AWESOME! The pocket shorts, otherwise known as "geek shorts", are kinda geeky looking... Once you're suited up people will be in awe of the sheer awesomeness of your suit.

In the end, on my next suit I'll probably just leave it plain and use pocket shorts. I do love how the glue on pockets look, but the shorts are just so much more convenient for me that it's worth it.

I'm a big fan of thigh pockets, and I have glue-on pockets on all but one of my wetsuits. They are very functional, alleviate the need for bulky BCD pockets (best way to carry stuff with a BP/W) and I agree they look great. In very warm water, I really like pocket shorts for the same reason, but I've never been a fan of putting them over my wetsuit. It just doesn't work well for me.

Gluing the pockets on with aquaseal is very secure. My oldest wetsuit with a glued-on pocket will wear out in other places before that pocket comes off. If you tried to pull it off, the leg of the suit would come off first. I pre-stretch the wetsuit thigh over a tapered board before I glue it on, and don't seem to lose much stretch.

I plan to try the Irikonji shorts soon.

How about these?

AMSCUD Neoprene Cowboy Pants:AMSCUD Neoprene Cowboy Pants - Scuba e-shop

The only place I've seen this type of pockets are on that website though.

Dolphin IST has them too. I've seen them and find them unsuitable because the pockets are too small and the pockets are zippered instead of velcroed.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 09:38 PM ----------

I normally dive dry qnd my drysuit has nice pockets. I have been looking for a suitable solution for my wetsuit and haven't found any within my budget. The pockets on the cheaper ones are generally too small.

I finally bought dive rite's XT thigh pockets. I will be trying them this weekend and they are cheap, big, well made and easy to don/doff.

Please give us a review when you've dived them I'd be interested to hear what you think. Cheers!
Mike

Please give us a review when you've dived them I'd be interested to hear what you think. Cheers!
Mike

Will do! I know they're not DIR but since I'm only going to use them for recreational open water dives it should'nt matter. I just need something big enough to store my 2m long SMB and spool and dive alert and gloves. The dive rite pocket can store all that in one pocket.

---------- Post added May 8th, 2014 at 10:42 PM ----------

I seem to recall seeing a few of those around Toronto during "Pride Week"... :wink:

Perfect for my humongous inflatable orange sausage....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom