glove thickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'll be in NE in about a month (i'll be there through the fall) and I need to pick up some neoprene gloves. Just wondering what thickness is comfortable. I realize that some people get cold easier than others and all that, i just want a quick survey to get an average. thanks

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
I'll be in NE in about a month (i'll be there through the fall) and I need to pick up some neoprene gloves. Just wondering what thickness is comfortable. I realize that some people get cold easier than others and all that, i just want a quick survey to get an average. thanks

I dive in SoCal, and its usually 54 - 60-ish. I dive with 3mm gloves with the index finger and thumb cut off. I went to PNW a few years ago to dive with Uncle Pug and the crew, rolled in with my sissy SoCal cutters and came up after 45 minutes with blocky hands.

I mean, I could hardly grip the swim step rail. It was scary. Couldn't clip off my light, etc. Nasty cold. The water that dive was 47.

Someone on the boat was sick and not diving - so I borrowed their 5mm full fingered gloves. I was fine the rest of the day.

I now have a rule: anything 53 or below, I dive dry gloves. If you're going into water below 50, I highly recommend 5mm gloves at the very least.

But that's just me.

---
Ken

It's not a matter of what's comfortable, its a matter of what's warm. I used a pair of 3 mil gloves I bought when I first got my card until I wore holes in all the fingertips reaching into holes. Then I bought a pair of 5 mil's with kevlar. The difference in warmth was really noticable. Plus, with the thicker neoprene and the kevlar it doesn't get your attention so much if a bug gets ahold of a finger in the process of you getting a hold of him. I tried a pair of three finger mitts once but didn't like them.
YMMV

I use 5mm in 50 degree water. When I was younger I used 3mm not anymore. BTW I tried the 3mm in 47 degree water last month when I forgot my 5's. Block hands is a good discription.

Carl

I dive in the PNW. During the winter I dive with 5mil gloves, as it gets warmer I switch to 3mil gloves and in the Summer I go gloveless...but I'm crazy that way. :)

Both my 5mil & 3mil gloves are inexpensive ScubaMax gloves. They are shorter than most other thicker gloves, thus negating the need for the crappy long wrap around velcro and buckle no one can seem to manage in thick gloves - hello! The 5mil also seem to give me more dexterity than I have had in any other 5mil brand. Just giving you a specific suggestion! Have fun!

ThatsSomeBadHatHarry:
I'll be in NE in about a month (i'll be there through the fall) and I need to pick up some neoprene gloves. Just wondering what thickness is comfortable. I realize that some people get cold easier than others and all that, I just want a quick survey to get an average. thanks

IMO You will want to be in 5mm gloves. I can't say I ever had an urge to drop to 3mm all of last summer thoiugh on some dives I thing I would have been OK. If you stay in warmer coves that can make a big difference.

What sort of dive suit will you be wearing? I find that you need to "think limb". A well protected arm and wrist makes a comfortable hand much more likely. I'm partial to the Bare 5mm gauntlet gloves. They give an extra layer of prtection to the wrist where the blood runns close to the surface. As gloves go they are flexible. Mine age not tight at all and that woks nice. I think that my palms radiate heat into the water in the glove and that warmed water circulates to my fingers. For the winter I've been diving in a Atlan 7mm noeprene suit with neoprene seals, Bare T-110 undergarment.

It's a system, not a glove.

Pete

I dive here in Boston with Bare 5mm gauntlet gloves which are just not enough... during winter months, I dive 7mm semi-dry (or semi-wet), which keeps every bit of me warm except my lips and fingers. At 35 degrees this past weekend, I cut a dive short just because my fingers were totally numb.

So, if there was a 7mm glove with precurved fingers that anyone could recommend, I'd use it for any water colder than 40.

To be specific I'de recommend the Harvey's 5 mil dino hyde gloves. Nice tough pair of gloves and very comfy the neoprene is top notch and very flexible.

I don't know who makes a true 7mm glove, my understanding was that most of the "coldwater" gloves that are out there are 5mm. We've also had pretty good luck with the Pinnacle Aquatics merino lined gloves, they are 4mm so they have a little more dexterity than the Bare gloves.

Paul

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom