glass bottom boats??????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

huber92f

New
Reaction score
what the deal with glass bottom boats in panama city beach????have you ever been on a dive and heard a screw coming through he water?i was diving the channel side of the jetty wall(with a student), when i heard a screw close.i turned around and it was a glass botton boat.they thought it would be cute to let the picture takers get some pics of divers in the water.***????yes i reported them to the coast guard.buit is that really something that they need to do to make more business.i think its a good way to get someone killed.but they dont care.the law says they have to stay away from divers flags.but do they.has anyone else had this happen to them.my email is huber92f@yahoo.com, email and let me know.Im lookinf for my lost shaker of salt...Have you seen it?

huber92f:
they thought it would be cute to let the picture takers get some pics of divers in the water.***????
There is no percentage in fighting stupidity. They outnumber you. Instead, you must merely respond in a meaningful manner.

Next time they do it, drop trou and moon them. :D

Doc beat me to it but I was gonna say that in Guam at a particular dive site we had big problems with the glass bottoms. I always marvel at the tourists in the boats who took flash pictures through the reflective glass.

Anyway - we just started mooning them but it only seemed to encourage more curiousity. Especially when my blonde haired main squeeze did it.

Oh well - there is no cure for ignorance.....

Doc Intrepid:
There is no percentage in fighting stupidity. They outnumber you. Instead, you must merely respond in a meaningful manner.

I think a well-timed certain maneuver that starts with a "W" and ends with an "r" would make for some interesting family vacation photos. :wink:

MtnDiver:
I think a well-timed certain maneuver that starts with a "W" and ends with an "r" would make for some interesting family vacation photos. :wink:
Now that made me smile.

I actually know of a dive guide that has arranged with the operator of a glass bottom boat to swim under it while if is pretty much drifting above a coral reef. Of course in this case it is a bilateral agreement as opposed to a unilateral decision by some boat driver to buzz some divers for the enjoyment of his passengers.

huber92f:
what the deal with glass bottom boats in panama city beach????have you ever been on a dive and heard a screw coming through he water?i was diving the channel side of the jetty wall(with a student), when i heard a screw close.i turned around and it was a glass botton boat.they thought it would be cute to let the picture takers get some pics of divers in the water.***????yes i reported them to the coast guard.buit is that really something that they need to do to make more business.i think its a good way to get someone killed.but they dont care.the law says they have to stay away from divers flags.but do they.has anyone else had this happen to them.my email is huber92f@yahoo.com, email and let me know.

I take students to the Jetty at St. Andrews too although I prefer to dive the "outside" on the western face of the Jetty because of the boat traffic on the inside.

Practically speaking that is a very busy channel and there is no other way for the boat traffic to get in and out the pass. That and the number of fishing boats on the jetty make it impractical to maintain distance from dive flags.

I don't think we can expect others trying to fish or make a living to clear out just because we tow a flag. None of that excuses the operator from making a dangerously close pass. I am just saying that divers on the inside of the jetty need to plan on heavy unpredictiable boat traffic and dive accordingly.

Doc Intrepid:

well Doc.i thouhg tbout that.but i couldnt get out off mysuit.i was in to be a hury to get my student in safe distance from the boat.but after this i did start to carry a small air operated speargun, but never got a chance to use it on them.
Looking for lost shaker of salt...Have you seen it?

Hmmm after great debate to respond to a glass bottom boat overhead... maybe the international gesture of friendship ..!.. would be appropriate.

Back
Top Bottom