Ginnie Springs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FDC700

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I will be in the Gainsville area and would like to dive at Ginnie Springs. Being warm Keys water divers, I was wondering what we should expect and if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Thanks

72 degree surface, 70-100ft vis, suggest 5mm, also take a floating dive flag and spindle.

the main spring is 150 ft round like a large pool. bottom is around 30ft and sandy, very clear. mid part there is a cave entrance you can get about 70ft into before it is blocked. you can feel the water rushing through the gate very cool.

leave your car here and walk you gear up to devils ear about 1/2 mile. from there explore the caves and ear before drift diving the river section.
you will need the flag when you drift dive the river from devils ear back down to the springs.

a pretty nice all day playground :)

Unless you are into NO viz diving, I wouldn't try the river drift dive right now. The river is really tannic due to all of the rain lately. When I was there this last Saturday, the tannic water was covering Devil's Ear Spring. However, Ginnie, Little Devil, & Devil's Eye were all clear.

Have fun & dive safe.

FDC700:
My wife and I will be in the Gainsville area and would like to dive at Ginnie Springs. Being warm Keys water divers, I was wondering what we should expect and if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Thanks
Please do a search.

Please don't read a thread if the title suggests that it might be a rehash of something that you have seen before. In this particular case, the current status of the dive site might not be reflected in the threads found with a search.

Sorry, some days I get upset with the same old topics. The title was not clear as to its intentions, and the thread implied asking for information that we go over and over. In addition since this was his second post, I though Id point out the search feature. I suppose he can get upset when I ask "what should i dive in the keys?"

I feel your pain. Sometimes here on SB, it seems that we argue & debate & pass on info about the same things over, & over, & OVER, & overrrrr......

Part of the problem is the board itself. We have such a large membership, so many threads, anotherwords, this place is so BIG, that it is almost impossible to come up with an original question or topic for discussion. Unfortunately, that means that some of us longer term members will have seen the same question 50+ times before.

I admit, I tend to sigh when I see "LDS vs. LeisurePro", or better yet, "What is DIR?" threads, but remember, to many here, this whole diving experience is new.

Also, what if everyone were to obtain all of the info they were looking for from old threads? How active would the board be then?

Peace,
love,
and happiness,

David

scubafool:
Also, what if everyone were to obtain all of the info they were looking for from old threads? How active would the board be then?

Thats how I see things exactly. Its an internet forum, not an online archive.

SuPrBuGmAn:
Its an internet forum, not an online archive.

Every once in a while, someone says something so succinct that it makes my jaw drop. Thanks for providing today's Moment of Clarity.

:god:

Not to mention, the search function on this board isnt the greatest. It spits out all kinds of random posts.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom