Ginnie Springs diver missing - Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I would say that Florida is the only place in the world where it's possible to walk into a dive store
That can happen anywhere there is a dive shop that sells rebreathers. I don't get the need to bash Florida based divers. I think it's myopic and does nothing but bolster your ego. We know nothing about what happened here and yet you're castigating an entire group of divers. It's not helpful.

Wow. This topic really got off topic quickly!
I'm in the thread, but I reported one of my posts where I was the one who took it off topic. I've asked the mods to split our discussion off into cave diving.

I do blame your training. It's ridiculous the amount of full cave divers coming from Florida who dove only in mapped caves with easy or no restrictions and believe that just because they can look good while laying a line they can explore 1km+ into caves.
I had the misfortune of diving with a group of Floridians this year and they almost killed me so I am a tad subjective but they did set my mind that half of your divers are overweight, panicky and have no business doing anything harder than walking up a flight of stairs.
Caves in the Med or central Europe get the same amount of traffic as the ones in Fl, yet we barely have any certified cave divers dieing, and close to 0 from medical issues.

trust me, in that you Europeans cannot claim universal superiority by any stretch. I have exited in near zero viz behind a couple of European “full cave” divers... seen a lot of chain smokers, and some tossing caths and sorb strait into the woods. Soo.. maybe check yourself a tad before you start throwing stones.

also, don’t you do a shake down dive with new buddies? I wonder exactly how they “almost killed you”...

trust me, in that you Europeans cannot claim universal superiority by any stretch. I have exited in near zero viz behind a couple of European “full cave” divers... seen a lot of chain smokers, and some tossing caths and sorb strait into the woods. Soo.. maybe check yourself a tad before you start throwing stones.

also, don’t you do a shake down dive with new buddies? I wonder exactly how they “almost killed you”...
I work with a lot of people in Europe and most of them (not including Italians), especially Germans, think they are superior in every way. It’s a broad generalization but it’s what I have observed in my dealings with them.

The body was recovered last night. He was certified on an SF2 and Sidewinder CCRs and was about 60 years old. No further info is available to me.

I understand that Ginnie is closed until they recover the body. I haven't heard if they've done that yet.
This is a little after-the-fact, but I dove Ginnie (at the Ginnie Spring) yesterday morning. When checking in, they simply stated that the devil's system was closed.

Not there today, so I can't report whether they reopened devil's post-recovery or not.

This whole tragedy is terrifying to read.
Peace on his survivors.

I would say that Florida is the only place in the world where it's possible to walk into a dive store in January buy a rebreather, get fully rebreather certified in February, put an add on facebook for a buddy in March and go do a 5+ hour dive.

Not saying that happened here, just my 2 cents on why it's happening quite often.

literally anywhere that sells rebreathers, that's why Bugge died because the **** waffle that is Darren promotes that in Hawaii... Most people don't do 5+ hour dives in the ocean, but that's not restricted to FL

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom