Ginnie June-12

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffreyd

Registered
Reaction score
A friend and I are heading up to Ginnie this sunday. I know its only one day but if anyone sees two rather big fellas, walk up and say hi. I'll be in a black/blue bodyglove 3.2 wetsuit with rental gear, and he'll be in an all black wetsuit with a scubaquest BC and candy blue tank.

These are are our first few dives after getting certified so we'll be just practicing and enjoying the perfect water.

(and yes I heard about the Tree limb)

Also does anyone know if the river has good vis?

Thanks.

I highly doubt it with the rain we've been having, but the viz in the river is never really that great, the ballroom and the runs will be great though.

jeffreyd:
A friend and I are heading up to Ginnie this sunday. I know its only one day but if anyone sees two rather big fellas, walk up and say hi. I'll be in a black/blue bodyglove 3.2 wetsuit with rental gear, and he'll be in an all black wetsuit with a scubaquest BC and candy blue tank.

These are are our first few dives after getting certified so we'll be just practicing and enjoying the perfect water.

(and yes I heard about the Tree limb)

Also does anyone know if the river has good vis?

Thanks.

I was already at Ginnie, so I didn't get a chance to read this. Yup... I think you two were suiting up getting ready to go into the Ballroom when got there.

Scuba_Dad:
I was already at Ginnie, so I didn't get a chance to read this. Yup... I think you two were suiting up getting ready to go into the Ballroom when got there.

Were you the one who took a few pictures of the spring with us floating on top?

Really early like 8:30am-9am.

(If were in it can we get a copy?)

Thanks.
JeffreyD

P.S. I'm faking a smile to the camera but I really was happy. :wink:

jeffreyd:
Were you the one who took a few pictures of the spring with us floating on top?

Really early like 8:30am-9am.

I know I didn't... It's always possible that either Talon or Bob might have taken a picture. We showed up about 8:30 ish... There were 3 of us...

Were you the guys without the lights?

Al

Scuba_Dad:
I know I didn't... It's always possible that either Talon or Bob might have taken a picture. We showed up about 8:30 ish... There were 3 of us...

Were you the guys without the lights?

Al

Yeah no lights this time. We just stayed back before the drop and watched. Next time were bringing lights though.

Were you the ones we asked to "follow" and stay behind? It seems like it.

jeffreyd:
Yeah no lights this time. We just stayed back before the drop and watched. Next time were bringing lights though.

Were you the ones we asked to "follow" and stay behind? It seems like it.

That's possible. I think my reply was to stay where you can see the opening. Diving in a cavern without a light is an accident waiting to happen. It gets dark inside the ballroom, and if you would have been in a spot where you lose the light from the opening... you would have been in trouble. Unfortunately, I lost my backup light... and I didn't notice it was gone until we did the ballroom dive. (I have a new hole in my pocket). Good thing it was only an inexpensive Q40. If I had my backup light, I would have loaned it to you.

I hope to see you up there again... I'm sure I'll be back up there...

Al

Scuba_Dad:
That's possible. I think my reply was to stay where you can see the opening. Diving in a cavern without a light is an accident waiting to happen. It gets dark inside the ballroom, and if you would have been in a spot where you lose the light from the opening... you would have been in trouble. Unfortunately, I lost my backup light... and I didn't notice it was gone until we did the ballroom dive. (I have a new hole in my pocket). Good thing it was only an inexpensive Q40. If I had my backup light, I would have loaned it to you.

I hope to see you up there again... I'm sure I'll be back up there...

Al

I appreciate the offer. Kind people are becoming rare these days. I was misled by the way the ballroom was described. I was led to believe that you could get back to the grate without a light, but needed light to "look at everything on the walls." However, lesson learned and it was a fun dive anyway. And I can see how people can get drawn into the caves, they look so tempting, like you want to see whats just a little further...further... but we stopped well short not actually going into anything. It was fun trying to hang on in devils ear though. Of course we see two cave divers just swim right into it without even slowing down.

We might be heading back up there in august and hopefully I'll have gear by then, and some lights. :)

Thanks again.

I have done some lights-out drills in the Ballroom. While it wasn't totally 100% dark, it WAS 99.9% dark. In some of the nooks and crannies, it would be completely black.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom