Gidds v. The Drysuit Round I

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just another point.
i know somone with 3 drysuits all in excellent condition, all fit fine. one is even custom made... and al quality suits...
and he almost exclusivly dives his unisuit
(i should go work for them)

Glad to hear that the neoprene suits are the way to go. I have been using laminate suits for years kayaking, and was thinking about just getting one for diving as they have always worked well for me on the surface. Thanks for bringing it up.

Not sure I can swing the purchase his year as I have already bought WAY too much dive gear already. I guess I will have to keep cultivating my subcutaneous insulation layer instead...

Had too work this weekend...Suffering withdrawal from diving....it's rough

I've been diving a DUI TLS-350 (trilam) suit this year. It's my first Drysuit and although I haven't tried the Neoprene suits, I'd just caution you about the weighting for those suits. The neoprene, with its inherent buoyancy requires you to add more weight to counteract than the trimlams do. The trilams, on the other hand, are more restrictive as they don't stretch at all and wreck divers tend to keep away from them because they are easier to rip than the other materials.

One thing I've learned is that the diving gets much more complicated for a newbie such as me. With the wetsuit, I knew exactly what I was wearing, hood, gloves, 22# lead - the only variables were which color bathing suit underneath and whether I would be cold! With the DS, the ability to change between arbitrary combinations of undergarments makes the weighting plan different. Best suggestion is to log everything you wear and the amount of weight, lowest temperature recorded and how you felt. I do this and refine my weighting and clothing selection for each range of temps. I've only logged around a dozen dives (including training ones and pool dives) with the suit and have used a combination of 4 different sets of undergarments.\

In short, even if you're not a newbie diver, you will feel like one for a while with the drysuit.

Good Luck!

The suit has been ordered and is being shipped priority :D :multi:

OK !!!! But WHAT did you get ????

the K

I'm gonna keep you all in suspense :wink: :devil:
Hint: not neoprene

Gidds:
I'm gonna keep you all in suspense :wink: :devil:
Hint: not neoprene
WHAT!
whats is your natural hair color?
did you not read what i said?????

Silence! :mad:
If I don't like it you can say "I told you so" since we all know how much guys would LIKE to say that phrase but RARELY get to say it :devil:
Refer to avatar for natural hair color :mad:

Gidds:
Silence! :mad:
If I don't like it you can say "I told you so" since we all know how much guys would LIKE to say that phrase but RARELY get to say it :devil:
Refer to avatar for natural hair color :mad:
cough dyejob cough

but im sure that you will be happy with whatever you have.
of corse you have nothing to compare it too :)

in any case.
did you get the suit thru the sameplace your taking the class..
are they giving you a break on the class because your buying a suit?

Back
Top Bottom