"giant stride entry" Why can't you jump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nohappy

Contributor
Reaction score
When my instructor taught me "giant stride entry", he said that you must not jump when doing that. Why is that?

people have a tendency to slip and fall when they try to jump, especially since most fins do not have great traction to begin with. When you move from a static load while standing to a dynamic load, and a fairly intense one like jumping with 100lbs of gear on, there is a very unfortunate albeit hysterical slipping that tends to occur which results in a face plant or an injured leg.

Because you might slip and injure yourself, and the tendency when people jump is to move upwards...with the giant stride entry you want to move outward laterally....you step forward with an extended stride like motion so your body and tank clears what you are standing on, bringing your legs together once you hit the water assists in returning to the surface.

This entry is derived from water-safety/life-guard/rescue entries where the person doing the rescuing needs to enter the water without taking their eyes off the victim. Performed properly, the giant stride entry allows the rescuer to enter the water without the head submerging. If one were to jump, the tendency is the increase upwards movement results in increased downward force/movement causing the head to submerge possibly resulting in the rescuer losing track of the victim.

-Z

My giant stride at first was usually a giant hop. It’s gotten much better. :D

just about everyones is because the "stride" is fairly unnatural for most people when entering a body of water compared to jumping. Think of the last time you got into a pool, off a dock, off a boat, etc while standing. You always jump, you don't just walk off the dock....

@Sam Miller III I do tend to give a spring forward from my foot, but not a huge one, just enough, delicate balance

Another danger of a hop is the possibility of not enough forward movement. Imagine dropping down and having the bottom of the cylinder on your back strike the deck.
If striding from a height, bring your feet together on the way down so the impact doesn't grab and twist your trailing leg/foot/fin.

@Sam Miller III you'll have to get that one from @herman
I'm from Boston and our cornbread isn't quite the same.... You want to cook up real lobsters though, let me know. My cousin just pulled this guy out last weekend. His brother is a diver for the Boston PD and lives down the cape with canal access. He has a gigantic tank with lobster and scallops that is continuously cycled with ocean water for lobster all the time!
67300227_2670684159632749_4645350109532389376_n.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom