"giant stride entry" Why can't you jump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not saying anyone should or shouldn’t do any particular entry, just the one that works for them i their current situation.

I will say I was surprised, and a bit annoyed, that the giant stride was getting the same treatment as the snorkel. A bunch of wanna be scuba experts telling everybody that giants strides aren’t cool and only newbs do them... Specifically someone said they could not think of a reason where the giant stride was applicable. I responded to that post, there are multiple situations where the giant stride works quite well.

And is the surface causative in those accidents?
Many times. The surface is both stressful and confusing. It is filled with waves, hard boats, sharp propellers and divers jumping into the water. Below that cluster fluster is a calm world full of serenity, bliss and the fish I want to see. After all, I came to chew gum and dive and I just spit my gum out! :D :D :D

there are multiple situations where the giant stride works quite well.
Indeed! My first real GS (not counting pool sessions) was from a 12 ft high dock into open water. No other good way to get in unless you went down a wooden ladder. Note my feet are together! To do otherwise invited serious injury. Picture from about 1985...not my first open water dive, but nearly my first with a GS.
upload_2019-8-4_22-16-16.png

I’m not saying anyone should or shouldn’t do any particular entry, just the one that works for them i their current situation.

I will say I was surprised, and a bit annoyed, that the giant stride was getting the same treatment as the snorkel. A bunch of wanna be scuba experts telling everybody that giants strides aren’t cool and only newbs do them... Specifically someone said they could not think of a reason where the giant stride was applicable. I responded to that post, there are multiple situations where the giant stride works quite well.

Hmmm, I didn't get the same impression from this overall thread.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom