Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Only if a Barracuda takes interest!:wink:

Reason #2 for proper dh regulator placement.

regpoisition-2.jpg

Tis better to have Barracuda take bite out of back then neck, IMHO.

And the cans and body nut are off to the chromers! Gonna get em back in a few day :D I wonder if there's such a thing as too shiny...

Reason #2 for proper dh regulator placement.

regpoisition-2.jpg

Tis better to have Barracuda take bite out of back then neck, IMHO.

How true, unless there's a pack of them.....I remember how Mr Big fare'd in Live and Let Die......the book, not the movie.

Shiny is nice....seems to draw mucho complements from others.......all the regular divers regs now days have dark grey or black plastic with satin nickel 1st stages.........shiny attracks them like Barracuda as well............

As promised, here's my initial review of my recent acquisitions. 3 weeks after taking the plunge to try out vintage equipment diving:

"Basic Scuba" by Fred Roberts.

P1010449.jpg

I got my 1963 2nd edition. I would say its in very good condition considering the age of the book.

As to the content, initially, I would wonder as to why it was considered as a "bible" for vintage equipment enthusiasts. Well, after glancing the content, I can definitely say that I agree completely that this is "THE" book to get.

P1010451.jpg

If this was "Basic Scuba" back then, I wonder what "advanced scuba" was?

________

VDH Explorer:

My new toy :D

VDHExplorerupload.jpg

Naturally, I needed to try out my new label on it:

DAAMupload.jpg

Fits like a glove.

As can be seen, what I got was a satin chrome regulator, so I guess the Pico blvd address on the plate is ideal. The regulator comes with a whole host of things. When I was communicating with Bryan from VDH, he said that it was a very basic set-up. I asked to him to elucidate further and actually the components of the reg are top notch. First of all, remember that the Explorer is a used DAAM. On re-build, Bryan uses new materials to give a top working order DAAM.

The diaphragm is made of very responsive silicone. The hoses are EPDM rubber for durability, the mouthpiece is new reproduction silicone and nice and soft. Wagon wheels and valves are the updated versions. The duck-bill is soft silicone as well. The reg is held together by a new SS band clamp, thus making access to the internals easier.

Tiretypescrewupload.jpg

The regulator comes standard with a long yoke. Mine also came with a tire-style yoke screw. You can also see that there is an installed hookah port adaptor which will enable you to attach either an octo or a LP inflator - or both of you purchase a splitter from your LDS (see one of Dale's photos above).

Banjoupload.jpg

The banjo is likewise made of stainless steel. The worksmanship is top-flight. It comes standard with a 3/8" to 7/16" adaptor so you can choose between your vintage SPG or a modern SPG.

All the data of the individual components can be seen on this page of VDH, as well as the other pages of the individual parts

When you browse through the section and you add up all the components, the price asked for the explorer is a steal. I would not hesitate to say that this is probably the best way to satisfy anyone's DH curiosity.

Pool tests tomorrow, followed by a show-chrome for the cans :D Time to represent vintage equipment diving in this part of the woods. :D

Congratulations Ed! It looks fantastic!!! Bryan does amazing things with 2 hosers, they are a work of art, really.

Well, while waiting for my reg, I've got a few more questions out there.

I've decided that I'm ditching the back-pack, and going for a harness. After all, getting the reg low and close is the optimal way of diving it. Before I jump for the cotton harness, I'll be trying out the feel of it with a little DIY job. Now, to satisfy any BC needs from operators, I've decided to get one of these:

bc-002_detail_1.jpg

1. After swapping out the corrugated hose with something less, uh, flashy (probably a spiral short hose from an old BC), and change the OPV with a smoother looking one, do you think that this thing will still pass muster as being "vintage?"

2. I know that getting the banjo connection is important when interfacing it with the tank. I've had air escape several times on opening the valve. Once I find the sweet spot however, it's okay. My next question is: Once pressurized, is a banjo almost as secure as not having another potential failure point in the valve interface? Put another way, has anyone experienced or documented a banjo failure after correct installation, or is the failure rate the same as the square of the probability of a standard o-ring extrusion failure? ?

3. Since the common resort tank is the al80, and I don't think I'd like to be lugging my lp72s around, I assume that with a harness alone and a deflated horsecollar, I'll need to wear at least 2lbs to counteract tank buoyancy at 500PSI. I'm thinking of the scenario: negative jets, 2lbs around my waist, buoyant hoses. Should I go for lighter fins (like my old Mares Planas in my video) to offset to some degree the imbalance? Or am I making too much of this...

Speaking of fins, someone talk some sense to me... When diving dubs, Jets move me great in the water...

Screenshot2011-03-08at102154AM.jpg

but now that I'm heading in a different direction, for single tank diving, I like the lightness of my ratty old planas. But even if they look ratty, they're definitely "newer" than the jets. Should I stick to my jets "just because..." or should I just say "screw it" and go for my planas?

I don't think I'm making a lot of sense... must be water deprivation.

Last edited:
I have been collecting diving gear and books for over 50 years and it is time I reduced the clutter, as my wife says.
I have a number of backpacs, tanks, old fins, maybe a reg or two as well as valves and fittings. If anybody is interested let me know and I will get up a list.

Ben D

Sure, why not. Post some pics as well. It might add some discussion points. Just don't get upset if the thread wanders here and there and we discuss the gear more than the sales there of.

Nothing wrong with a horse collar but if I must go with a wing, I figure I might as well go with the one on my BC (Express Tech- which is customized for DH regs)....and if the OP is not paying attention after a few dives I can quitely remove it. See eclectic comment below. :)

The extra oring does add a failure point but so far I have only seen one go underwater. Just know how to buddy breath.

I for one can't (well more accutely don't like to) use 72s in fresh water, they overweight me by several pounds with no other weights unless I am wearing a wetsuit which I often do not do. Still, if you need a couple of pounds to offset an 80 so what, as long as you are properly weighted it does not matter how you get the weight. Now you can be more cool about it if you get a wire buckle to go with them, Trident still sells them....Bryan is a Trident dealer by the way.

Just dive eclectic and use which ever fin you want. Most of the time I dive Quatros because I like them better than Jets but if the dive calls for full vintage, the Voits come out.....still got to get me some duckfeet, I do want a set of those.

DHs are a disease, you will want more than the Mistral sooner or later.

I have been collecting diving gear and books for over 50 years and it is time I reduced the clutter, as my wife says.
I have a number of backpacs, tanks, old fins, maybe a reg or two as well as valves and fittings. If anybody is interested let me know and I will get up a list.

Ben D

Always interested in old gear and books. I need some duckfeet and there are a couple of regs I would like to get or some 38 or 50s tanks. Post a list or better yet photos.

The extra oring does add a failure point but so far I have only seen one go underwater. Just know how to buddy breath.

For the sake of discussion, what were the circumstances of this o-ring failure? Was the banjo torqued underwater causing the extrusion, or was it a small diameter o-ring?

Spent part of the afternoon trying out my banjo with different valves. For standard K valves, there was no problem. I did have a relatively harder time with the DIN convertible valves I had.

I've got two types:

One type is on my 200bar isolation manifold, similar to this:
tm600.jpg

And the other is a somewhat even longer (antero-posterior dimension) Thermo valve:
ThermoStandard.jpg

Initially, the banjo did NOT want to go on either. In both cases, the tolerances were off by just micrometers. Thoughts of getting a dremmel and slightly grinding down the yoke, or the banjo, or both started dancing through my head.

Fortunately for me, I figured out that with proper pre-placement, and a little "coaxing" with the heel of my hand I was able to get the reg body and banjo on all my valves.

I guess I've got all the common resort valves covered :D

Back
Top Bottom