Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Herman, Now you have me double checking my reg. I'll measure and post back.

I was wrong. Apologies all around. The banjo does fit. I must not have wrestled it in enough (or tried a modern valve?) and assumed it was a short yoke. Probably got shipped the adaptor too but mislaid it.

Back of the class for me.

Above post edited

No problem Dale, I just know Bryan well enough to know he would not put something on his site without it being accurate. The yokes are easy to tell apart, the "long" one has straight side with a gently curving top section, the short one has 2 distinctive angled sides to it.

Hi Herman,

Well, I stripped the tank off paint and knocked the boot off. There's just very slight corrosion in some parts under the boot (nothing flaky) but otherwise the paint was still on the boot area. I tried using the rest of the paint stripper on it, but there's an epoxy coat underneath it, and so the bottom of my tank is now a kaleidoscope of gray, cream, some bits of blue and a smidge of rust. No major pits found in either tank surface, or interiors. I agree that galv is the best ever coating, but there are a few dings where the base metal is showing and I'd like to cover it up (that and the kaleidescope base after hydro).

Regarding the pack, I'll probably switch out straps with one of my hog set-ups. Not being a big diver, I still found the strap reached its limit when trying to get the tanks low (limit, as in when I stood up, one shoulder strap came undone). The band is a bit of a pain to tighten and loosen though, so I'll see if I still have my old dacor pack with the cam lever instead (damn, why'd I have to go and throw it away before).

Just a thought... what if I take a blow torch to heat up the backpack top and bend it forward... ? :D

Or cut the handle (I don't carry my rig from there anyway...) and fill that with a filler of epoxy resin for strength?

Ahh, went back and looked at the photo. There were 2 versions of that band, the screw on like you have and one with a lever latch. That one is a pain but the latch one is one of my favorites.

I would not torch the pack, odds are you will end up with a fire and a messed up BP. You may can soak it in boiling water to bend it or maybe in a hot oven with braces and weights to bend it but odds are you are better off just extending the webbing and keep searching for another BP. My favorites are the single layer (about 1/4 inch thick) plastic or even better metal ones that are contured to the body. USD, Voit, Nemrod and Dacor all made them, most likely others did too. If you don't care if it's vintage, the new Zeagle Express Tech can be modified by a member of VDH to make a really nice BC that can be dove with both double hose and single hose regs. A big plus is the bladder is easy to remove so it can be dove with or without the bladder as conditions and dive ops allow.

Just to add more for those unfamiliar with some of the pieces being discussed.

This is a banjo HP fitting along with a vintage/modern LP hose adaptor. When installing make sure the Banjo O ring is in place:

Picture2004-18.jpg

And installed as part of the reg/valve interface. Note also the three way LP adaptor on the hookah port. Now this reg can supply air for an AAS, BC and drysuit if wanted. I found I had to route the banjo up because it bumps against the valve stem and J valve lever when routed down:

Picture2002-19.jpg

Here is a duckbill eliminator installed:

Picture2005-13.jpg

Here are two mouthpieces. The straight one comes with the Explorer and the curved one came off a Mistral:

Picture2009-11.jpg

And the long and short yokes:

Picture2011-4.jpg

The banjo was designed to be used with valves in the 1960s. Yours is post era of banjos that is why you need to route it up. Also that assortment of fittings on the hookah port could be eliminated by a Phoenix. And seeing as how all that stuff is not vintage anyway, go modern with a Phoenix. The DBE is nice, I was involved with its development, but again in no way is it to be considered vintage. Maybe we need to make a forum somewhere entitled, Eclectic Diving, aka do you own thing. Seems everybody wants to "modernize" true vintage gear. The purists are becoming fewer and fewer.

Well... I'm going diving tomorrow with my Explorer with a predicted surface temp of 31*F. and water temps of 40-44*F. so I think I'll stick to my drysuit :wink:

I don't think the purists are becoming fewer and fewer; I just think vintage diving can accomidate more POV's than that. I see it as a house with many rooms and think there is space enough for everybody. Period correct is very important for preserving the factual source information about this era of diving but a huge part of that era was also inventiveness and adaptability and a lot of good ideas come about as a result. That's what I see going on with such things as the Pheonix, DBK's and silicone valves.

Environmental and social context also plays a large role in how one dives their gear. In warmer water one can fairly easily dive period correct (I do this in the pool all the time) but in colder climates it becomes more problematic. It's not impossible though. I am slowly working my way towards a truer sense of vintage diving but I'm also a realist. I don't plan to kill myself doing so. I dive with other modern era divers but they do not understand my rig well enough (I'm the only vintage equipmnt diver I've ever seen in action in real life) so I effectively dive solo as a result.

Each step of the way is a learning experience which can be big if you have no real life mentors. The first doublehose dive I did was solo and I did use a DS whip, horsecollar and a pony bottle. I didn't think that banjo fit so I've pretty well dove J valve from the start. I did route an AAS for a bit but soon became comfortable with the breathing of the DH and only use it if I am diving with a newer diver (for their use). Now in shallower water, having a better understanding of bouyancy and breathing characteristics, I just use the DS whip (don't like all the lead I have to use for my wetsuit). This summer I hope to start using a hydroglove and that will again, require a learning curve wherein I will rely on modern failsafes. In 45*F water you don't want to majorly flood and have no other means of bouyancy too far from shore.

I debate the Phoenix addition quite a bit in my own head FWIW. Right now I have everything it would offer except for unrestricted use on modern valves and a balanced second stage and it does cost $180; but then again... it would be nice to be able to do any modern dive (charters etc...) without the human hassles. Maybe I'll find some money on the sidewalk somewhere. I am a sucker for bright shiny objects :D

Anyways, good discussion. I personally think all the different POV's provide a richer format for vintage equipment divers to learn in. And I include myself as one of those students.

I'm mostly a purist I'd say, not because of any orthodoxy but because I'm a cheap bastard and can't see spending the money on a Phoenix right now. So I dive sans Gauges and BC (which I was doing before using a DH) and just use a J valve.
For charters I don't mind using regular stuff, but in Socal many of the charters let you do what you want. They let people dive with one 2nd stage and no BC all the time so one step further diving with no SPG might be the the line with them but we'll see. Just a double hose would be no big deal because there's no difference between that and a modern single 2nd. I haven't been down to Socal yet with my DH so we'll see. The banjo would be the solution to that if they really want an SPG.

I'll be honest, when my LDS guys saw my Phoenix, I described it as "new" gear, as it's really current stuff in a vintage can. Is it the coolest thing they've seen in a while? Yep. But, I won't mislead anyone into thinking I'm diving true vintage. I'm still far away from there......... Someday.................but in the mean time, I still must wear a BP/W, octo to jump off a charter here in Fla. Plus, right now, I'm using them so my husband will stop saying "Your gonna die using that stuff". LOL! (He secretly wants one, I know it)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom