Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The DH explorer comes with an HP adapter as well (at least based on the description in the ad). I'll be taking it one step at a time - so initially with a BP/W, then eventually (after I get the feel of it) just a tank harness :D

One thing that I am looking for right now is anyone with an extra RAM nozzle they want to sell?

Also, what are the dimensions (width and height) of the rectangular label of the DAAM? Thinking of having a label made...

With the BPW, mount the tank as low as possible, then just deflate the wing entirely and you're pretty close to what it will be like diving vintage.

You might not be able to mount the tank as low as is ideal though.

Using a 7mm with 12mm over my core, what I do is weight myself so that I start to become neutral at around 20 feet. This allows me to maintain close to neutral buoyancy from about 20 to 50 feet. When I go beyond that in either direction, I have to deal with being a little negative or a little positive. Sometimes I pick up a rock, or scull a little or swim at a slight angle. I've dove to over 100' weighted like this and it wasn't too awkward down deep. The change in buoyancy is most noticeable near the surface.

Living in the Philippines, the buoyancy shift should be much less noticeable for you. I would imagine that with a 3 mil you could probably weight yourself for 15' and then control your buoyancy clear down to 100' with just your lungs.

Living in the Philippines, the buoyancy shift should be much less noticeable for you. I would imagine that with a 3 mil you could probably weight yourself for 15' and then control your buoyancy clear down to 100' with just your lungs.

My dream is to someday dive a steel 72/DAAM with just a cotton harness and a pair of board shorts.
I dove like this in a pool and I was exactly 100% neutral. The cool thing is buoyancy wouldn't change at depth with no suit.
I don't know about salt water though, might have to add 2# or so.

The DH explorer comes with an HP adapter as well (at least based on the description in the ad). I'll be taking it one step at a time - so initially with a BP/W, then eventually (after I get the feel of it) just a tank harness :D

One thing that I am looking for right now is anyone with an extra RAM nozzle they want to sell?

Also, what are the dimensions (width and height) of the rectangular label of the DAAM? Thinking of having a label made...

You will also need the internals but the biggest "problem" is you will need to either find a RAM pin or make a custom pin. The best way to accomplish this is to use a pin support out of a Titan (#1015-69) and then custom cut a pin to length. The Titan one MIGHT work but odds are it will be too short. You can get the proper diameter pins from McMaster Carr or if you know someone who has already ordered a bunch of them to get 2 or 3 you might can work a deal. Not that I would have done such a thing. :wink:

The label is 1.25 x 2 inches.

Thanks Herman! :D I think I'll go for a black label... with brass edges.

Actually I've got the internals already, c/o a couple of extra parts kits I have. Bryan did have one with complete internals, but I think I'll give the DA a whirl first before I try going RAM. Then again, for the price of the RAM nozzle, I might as well throw in a bit more and get a Phoenix nozzle...

My dream is to someday dive a steel 72/DAAM with just a cotton harness and a pair of board shorts.
I dove like this in a pool and I was exactly 100% neutral. The cool thing is buoyancy wouldn't change at depth with no suit.

I have been known to dive in a shirt and painters pants al la Robert Shaw in The Deep.

Now if more women dove like Jacky, diving would be a lot more popular.....

Thanks Herman! :D I think I'll go for a black label... with brass edges.

Actually I've got the internals already, c/o a couple of extra parts kits I have. Bryan did have one with complete internals, but I think I'll give the DA a whirl first before I try going RAM. Then again, for the price of the RAM nozzle, I might as well throw in a bit more and get a Phoenix nozzle...

Agreed, the difference is not enough to justify the cost. Might as well go all the way if you are going. You would also need the springs which are not part of the standard rebuild kit and are very different from the DA spring.

I'm just a tad negative in that get up in the pool (works out great as I become neutral further into the dive). With my drysuit I add 18#'s. This summer I plan to dive my doublehose in just shorts at the lake and look forward to a very minimal rig :D

Ed, there was some discussion on VDH about making a run of DAAM labels. Might want to check there. I'm thinking of trying my hand at making one in black and brass that has my NAVED number on it.

Because I'm not too sure how the resorts here will react to vintage gear, I've set aside an appropriate 2nd stage to use with the reg when it gets here:

accessories.jpg

The chrome on the conshelf box bottom was just really bad. Thought I'd give it a kinda EOD look.

Ooooohhh... I can't wait :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom