Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That has got to hurt, imagine what a set of "used in Thunderball doubles complete with regulator and genuine cut on the set hoses" would be worth today, esp if you had some paperwork to prove it.

I found some of the scenes kind of funny when some of the Spectre agents would die after their exhaust house was cut. Still after going through VDH, it was sad to find out the eventual demise of the Thunderball Bomb Sled.

On that note, a quick look at my computer screen will reveal that I currently have 7 tabs of VDH open, and only one in SB at the moment. I'm trying to read through as many of the threads over there before I start posting my questions as well. Which brings me to one question I'll ask here (hopefully I won't get flamed too much...) Is there info here on SB that isn't reflected over in the VDH site?

I bought them at auction--an entire pallet load and did have the paperwork! :shocked2::shakehead:

I found some of the scenes kind of funny when some of the Spectre agents would die after their exhaust house was cut. Still after going through VDH, it was sad to find out the eventual demise of the Thunderball Bomb Sled.

On that note, a quick look at my computer screen will reveal that I currently have 7 tabs of VDH open, and only one in SB at the moment. I'm trying to read through as many of the threads over there before I start posting my questions as well. Which brings me to one question I'll ask here (hopefully I won't get flamed too much...) Is there info here on SB that isn't reflected over in the VDH site?

No flaming, a lot of us are on both boards. There is a lot more downloadable info on VDH, none that I am aware of here. And there are several sections devoted to Q&As that do not exist here. Thread wise, most of the same subjects have been covered both places but VDH is somewhat older (vintage discussions wise) that SB so at times it has been discussed there in the past. The one biggest discussion differnece will be in the equipment discussions, on them, VDH has a lot more to read. That is where most of us go with a specific DH reg question as opposed to more general ones ask here. "What reg is good to restore" would be ask here, "what is the orifice diameter of a DA nozzle" would be best ask on VDH. Considering most of the active posters are on both, odds are your question will get answered by the same divers reguardless of which place you post it....or post it both places to cover all your bases.

You beat me Herman!

Ed,
I'd say that the caliber of technical information on VDH is outstanding and very reliable because the community is far more tight knit and incorrect info is soon pointed out as such. You can't get away with too much BS there. But if you are sincere the members go out of their way to be helpful.

You will also notice that many of the people posting there also post here.

You will also find that SB is less strictly moderated in regards to vintage discussions. It's kind of all over the place but that can be fun in a relaxed friendly way. On VDH the discussions can be quite focussed, which is also good as it keeps the vintage information very "real".

I find I like both forums.

One difference I see between VDH and here is the audience. Here the audience is much more diverse and many people read and lurk to see what's going on in the vintage world even though they might not be vintage divers themselves.
While at VDH it's pretty much vintage aficionados exclusively. Unless you are seriously into vintage or working towards vintage would you be more likely to hang out at VDH.

Here there's a better chance of sparking the interest of passers by to check out the vintage world.
And then of course if they get bitten by the bug they find a link to VDH (someone always has a link) and their real journey begins.

...Here there's a better chance of sparking the interest of passers by to check out the vintage world.
And then of course if they get bitten by the bug they find a link to VDH (someone always has a link) and their real journey begins.

Well, I'm sure one of those :D I think I'm going to get in touch with Bryan regarding an explorer kit...

Speaking of which, how come he doesn't want to post on SB?

VDH is a club, and it's used freely.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom