Getting started in vintage diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That is interesting, never seen a black ring on a USD reg...or any other chrome reg for that matter.

Oh, I just painted it black because the chrome was so badly flaked off the base copper was showing. I've got two other brass conshelf seconds, but they're currently seeing service on my current singles rig. Of course, once I get my DH and assuming I take to it, then I'll e using those box bottoms and rings (chrome is still good).

This is what gave me the idea (from VSS):

conmil2.jpg

I second Herman and suggest going with the Phoenix nozzle. Best money I ever spent!

Well, my VDH explorer and my "Basic Scuba" is arriving soon! :D In the meantime, I've acquired 2 more LP72s (still for vis and hydro) as well as a USD backpack.

I've even had labels made for the explorer:

samplessmall.jpg

Yes, I know the font is off, the (R) symbol is missing, and Gagnan lost an "N", but overall, I'm happy with the labels :D

First pool dives next week.

Ed, I like that label! (except for the missing N [damn]). What type of shop did that for you?

I was also looking at the posts above and thought I'd comment on the SPG issue.

The explorer will come with a banjo fitting but you can't use it without having a long yoke on the explorer (the part that clamps onto the tank valve). I think Bryan sells those. The banjo is also sized for a vintage HP hose (smaller thread size) so you will also need an adaptor for that. Bryan sells those too or you could try to find something like it locally. Let me know if you need photos of those and I'll post them.

To avoid all that in the short term you can just dive using a working J valve and with a pony for bailout (both to get used to the J valve and if you go deeper). That should get around the safe second and spg issue I would think (at least functionally, if not for the charter boats).

Or, if you have an old Dacor J valve you can add the SPG right off the valve (you still need the vintage /modern thread adaptor though). I can add a photo of that too if you want.

One problem you may find diving with a BP/W is the central ridge in the plate. When you use a single tank it will hold the tank quite far up off your back and may affect the regulators performance (making it harder to breath).

Try it anyways but if it is an issue a solution in the short term is one of these old ABS backpacks. Around here they are dirt cheap and they do the job:

Picture2001-18.jpg

Here's the explorer on a ST72 with a LP whip.

PICT1123.jpg

And here's about how the tank should sit on your back (maybe even a bit too high still). A little lower than a modern rig:

Picture2005-7.jpg

Good luck with the diving.

Dale.

Its an engraving shop. I think they acid-etched the label. I actually noticed the missing "N" while I was still at the shop, but that meant not having the labels with me for another 2 days, and they were just too good looking otherwise... I think I'll ask them if they can replicate other labels, or make a custom label with my name on it :D

I'll be picking up my reg and book this week-end (its here in manila! :D ). In the meantime, I've finished cleaning the tank and pack. Here's what they looked like upon purchase. I'm trying to secure a source of zinc-rich paint around here (no galvilite here).

The back pack:
Backpack.jpg

The tanks:
LP72s.jpg

I'll need to rebuild the USD J-valve. Its crusted up, but the sportsways J valve is functioning great. Interestingly, in one of the tanks, there was what I thought to be a vinyl coat. However, after reading some entries here on SB and VDH, it just might be a patina that has formed inside the tank. Tried running a whip inside it, but it didn't kick up much dust. I can't find that thread anymore, so how can I tell the diff between a coating and a patina?
_________

edit: Found the thread I was looking for here

Last edited:
Dale, one more question: Since I note that the reg in your photo is the explorer you got, isn't it shipped standard with a long yoke and the adapters for the ports?

Oh, and PM me your address. I'll give you the other label if you like. You can put it on your explorer (if you can live with the missing "N") :D

hmmm... well, I'll shoot him a message to see what components are included in an explorer. So far, I know that it does have the newer silicone diaphragms as well as EPDM hoses, as well as silicone duckbill. I assume the wagon wheels and valves aren't the newer kind, but we'll see. I'll be posting a review with pictures both here and on VDH :D

Oh, and the label is stainless steel and doesn't have the tabs. They could've done it in brass as well, but chrome-plated brass was just a tad more complex. Remember, if you add the label to your VDH explorer, it might void the 1 yr replacement offer with Bryan. I've got no intention of sending mine in, so I'm okay with it :D

A few observations Ed.
Those tanks are already galvanized, no need to coat them. Personally, I would use paint stripper to remove the remaining paint and leave them as is unless there are some bad spots I don't see. Then again, the old chipping paint adds street cred to the tanks. :) The tank boots are not a good idea, they hold salt water. Efficiently rinsing the saltwater off with them on is difficult to do. Trapped saltwater run can ruin a good tank in short order and you will not know it until the next vis. Use them during the dive if you like but remove them for cleaning and storage.
The USD back pack is one of the later ones and while it works OK with a DH it is not optimal. Note in Dales top photo the back pack has a inward curve (toward your back) that allows the BP to be placed over the reg. The USD one does not curve enough and it will not allow you to put the BP any higher than the bottom of the reg, forcing the tank/reg higher than you would like. See Dales second photo. In addition, the straps on that BP have the Drings sewn in so extending the shoulder straps to compensate only works to some degree, a big diver will have trouble getting the tank down far enough before the Drings are setting on top of his shoulders. They are not comfortable there. The only options are to remove the straps and replace them, something I have not been able to bring myself to do, I have a thing about destroying anything old that can not be replaced. On the up side, the bands will accommodate both 72 and 80s so renting tanks is easier. There are some different brands/models of similar BPs from that era that do have a large enough curve to them or the straps are the standard variety that can be lengthened enough to make them work. They used the same style band mount - U bolts and screws-but the bands will only accommodate 72s.These work well because you can extend the straps to lower the tank to where you want it. If you swap bands between them, you end up with the best of both, perfect DH fit and it can use 72 and 80 with no modification. I might not be willing to cut up old BPs but I will swap parts in a second. :)

On the Explorer, the add says it has a banjo plus both a HP and LP adapters included. So you can use either an old style (3/8x24) or new (7/16x20) thread HP hoses with it. Old style hoses are available from any Trident dealer but most do not stock them so you must special order them, in any case, they can be easily gotten....at least here. If you need a middle man to rder some, I think you can find one or 2 easily. The wagon wheels and valves may or may not be the upgraded ones but the difference is not that great, esp for a first reg. The valves themselves may be the new style, again, they work better but the improvement is not huge. In any case they are simple to replace yourself at any time. The one thing the Explorer has that I would quickly replace it the mouthpiece. I do not like the straight ones, they are too large to suit me. I prefer the silicone Voit hourglass ones with the curved silicone USD ones a close second. Again, something you can replace yourself at a later time. On the yoke, I can't imagine Bryan would send the Explorer with a short yoke knowing full well the banjo would not work. That would be a perfect way to piss off a new customer.

Back
Top Bottom