Getting some new kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slightly offtopic, but I was thinking of getting some hand flippers to increase my propulsion efficiency. Hoping to get any recommendations.

The below are jetfin style. Could the split version be better?
1680225869835.png

From the article you linked, split fins are good for the following users:
  • Casual divers
  • Inexperienced divers without a good kicking technique
  • Divers with ankle or knee problems, or divers who get cramps quickly
For someone who fits one or more of those criteria, they may be a good fit.
I would not think a DM trainee is in any of these categories. Or, conversely, i would not think someone in any of those categories would be a valid DM trainee.

I would not think a DM trainee is in any of thise categories. Or, conversely, i would not think someone in any of those categories would be a valid DM trainee.

A DM trainee should also already have enough experience to know what they like and mask criteria. Frankly from the OP's post so far I'm scared for the future of dive instruction in the UK. Or he is just trolling because he got butt hurt from his first post, even though the criticism was at the instructor not him.

Deleted by rx7diver. (Didn't realize this thread was in the Humor subforum.)

From the article you linked, split fins are good for the following users:
  • Casual divers
  • Inexperienced divers without a good kicking technique
  • Divers with ankle or knee problems, or divers who get cramps quickly
For someone who fits one or more of those criteria, they may be a good fit.
I can attest to the cramp thing.

Slightly offtopic, but I was thinking of getting some hand flippers to increase my propulsion efficiency. Hoping to get any recommendations.

The below are jetfin style. Could the split version be better?
View attachment 776876
Brilliant idea, but do they fit over marigolds?

I've found marigolds to be effective at keeping hands dry if you tuck the wrists under my Drysuit.

Thanks for the advice on my thread about regs.
I've decided to go with the Apeks MTX-R.
Expensive but I don't want to go cheap on safety critical equipment.

Need to get myself a new mask, snorkel and fin set.

I've read this:

And I'm thinking either the Tusa split-blade Xpert or the Scubapro twin jet max.

I dived with somebody else's split blades 2 weeks ago and they were so comfortable I felt like a fish 🐟

Thinking about doing some diving on my own this season just to consolidate my learning and gain experience for my DM.
Can't wait for the season to start 🤿
Regs: there's no benefit in the MTX except for the shop and Apeks who extract more money from you. Apeks DST / DS4 are excellent and a fraction of the price. These are used by a very large number of technical divers for long and deep diving; techies are very fussy about using kit that works.

Mask: one that fits. Everything else is personal preference. Some like a single pane of glass, some like two panes. A black skirt is better than clear, although that too is personal.

Fins: firm fins that don't have shapes to snag things underwater. They need to be able to work with proper fin kicking techniques -- frog kick, back finning, helicopter turns, "mod" flutter kick. These tend to be the stiffer older style fins (e.g. JetFins) with a few Mares Quattros thrown in.

FYI split fins are a wind-up -- someone's taking the piss as it were -- they're floppy and poor for all proper finning techniques, hence often chosen by people with poor skills. Same with ankle weights, wearing a snorkel, annoying rattle things, underwater quackers, yellow flubber, retractors, BFKs...

Solo diving: get yourself on the SDI Solo Diver "course". The PADI "Self-Reliant Diver" is not accepted for solo diving in diving lakes. You will also need to have a redundant gas supply. Twinset, sidemount, stage cylinder, or -- please just don't -- a 3 litre PONY cylinder bolted to a 15 litre tank.

Are you also going to ask about short / long house configuration now you have your over priced regs?

When are you starting a thread about a knife? You know real dives like a zombie knife strapped to their calf.

Oh and we need another thread about din vs yoke whilst you at it

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom