Getting Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

animian2002

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi

:help: I'm thinking of getting fins but being a novice with only 8 dives and currently only noe Flutter finning technique. and given that I would like to try other finning techniques in future

any :idea: What kind of fins shld I get.

Tell us what kind of diving you're going to be doing, where you're located, and what kind of gear you're using so we can help. Chances are you'll get a few people recommending split fins (Scubapro Twin Jets, Tusa Xpert Zoom, etc), and a few more insisting you get Scubapro Jet Fins. You might also get one or two who recommend another type of blade fin (Cressi Frogs and Mares Plana Avanti are popular - and good) or force fins. All of them have their advantages.

Anyway, *I'm* about to buy a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins. I feel kinda weird recommending something I've never tried but... I've really heard nothing but good things about them. I like the design and weight and they are more versatile than pretty much anything else. A lot of resistance, a lot of thrust, and are well suited to multiple finning techniques.

I was looking at split fins and force fins, as my ankles tend to get a bit sore after a couple of dives. The issues I have with them are that you're more or less limited to quick flutter kicking (which annoys me), they stir up the bottom, and you can't get as much force as with a blade fin. This isn't good if you're fighting a current, and I do a lot of diving in rivers.

Best of luck to you :)

Buy cheap ones. :wink:

If you are starting out then start saving for decent regs. Don't worry too much about which fins.

The only real issue in open or closed foot. Closed foot fins go on bear feet and are for warm water diving. Open foot go over boots and are what almost every diver uses.

jonnythan once bubbled...
Tell us what kind of diving you're going to be doing, where you're located, and what kind of gear you're using so we can help. Chances are you'll get a few people recommending split fins (Scubapro Twin Jets, Tusa Xpert Zoom, etc), and a few more insisting you get Scubapro Jet Fins. You might also get one or two who recommend another type of blade fin (Cressi Frogs and Mares Plana Avanti are popular - and good) or force fins. All of them have their advantages.

Anyway, *I'm* about to buy a pair of Scubapro Jet Fins. I feel kinda weird recommending something I've never tried but... I've really heard nothing but good things about them. I like the design and weight and they are more versatile than pretty much anything else. A lot of resistance, a lot of thrust, and are well suited to multiple finning techniques.

I was looking at split fins and force fins, as my ankles tend to get a bit sore after a couple of dives. The issues I have with them are that you're more or less limited to quick flutter kicking (which annoys me), they stir up the bottom, and you can't get as much force as with a blade fin. This isn't good if you're fighting a current, and I do a lot of diving in rivers.

Best of luck to you :)

well ... I dive in tropical water (Asia) ..& still am a novice :D
me too heard some much from pple ..and it sure make it difficult for me to choose which to buy :( cos everyone of them has their own advantages.

try Ebay..well..I have visited the site...but after taking into consideration the courier charges...it is almost equivalent to getting a pair here ...

But it seem to me tt jetfins is more popular ...are they really that good... sure hope I get to try some before actually invest in one :D

animian2002 once bubbled...

well ... I dive in tropical water (Asia) ..& still am a novice :D
me too heard some much from pple ..and it sure make it difficult for me to choose which to buy :( cos everyone of them has their own advantages.

try Ebay..well..I have visited the site...but after taking into consideration the courier charges...it is almost equivalent to getting a pair here ...

But it seem to me tt jetfins is more popular ...are they really that good... sure hope I get to try some before actually invest in one :D

Yanno, if I were you I'd probably buy the Twin Jets. I've dived with them.. I'll probably be diving the Jet Fins Sunday, so I'll let you know what I think.

I currently own the Mares Plana Avanti open-foot fins (requires a boot). They are the blade-style fins and very many people like them. I think they work very well in the water and are suited to many different types of kicks -- scissor kick, frog kick, etc. These have been around for years but I hear more and more people who think they are the best open-foot fin around (some of my friends have even ditched their split fins and taken their old Mares out of the closet!). However, they are quite stiff and can take a lot of strength to use.

BUT...all of my friends that are serious scuba divers use the full foot fins whenever they dive in warm water (some poeple may refer to them as "closed foot"). Not only are these cheaper than their open foot cousins, but my friends tell me they are superior in performance because there is less "slop" than in an open-foot fin.

The recent Rodale's magazine gave the best performance scores to the closed-foot fins. These relatively "cheap" fins got even better scores than the very expensive split fin models. They liked all the closed fins reviewed: Cressi Frog, Oceanic Caribe, and Aeris Velocity.

Based on how many of my friends like full foot fins, I decided to buy a new pair yesterday. One of the local dive shops had the Aeris Velocity full foot model on sale for $35! I couldn't pass up that deal, so I picked up a pair. These are the same fins that Rodale's rated very highly. I will try them out on my next dive and let you know how I liked them.

Anyway, if you can get away with a full foot fin (if you dive in warm water), I'd seriously look at buying them as they are cheaper (and many would say better performing). If you need a fin to use in the cold water, then you have no choice but to get an open-foot fin (and a neoprene boot, which costs around $50).

Thx...Doug

dgangi once bubbled...

BUT...all of my friends that are serious scuba divers use the full foot fins whenever they dive in warm water (some poeple may refer to them as "closed foot"). Not only are these cheaper than their open foot cousins, but my friends tell me they are superior in performance because there is less "slop" than in an open-foot fin.

The recent Rodale's magazine gave the best performance scores to the closed-foot fins. These relatively "cheap" fins got even better scores than the very expensive split fin models. They liked all the closed fins reviewed: Cressi Frog, Oceanic Caribe, and Aeris Velocity.

Based on how many of my friends like full foot fins, I decided to buy a new pair yesterday. One of the local dive shops had the Aeris Velocity full foot model on sale for $35! I couldn't pass up that deal, so I picked up a pair. These are the same fins that Rodale's rated very highly. I will try them out on my next dive and let you know how I liked them.

Anyway, if you can get away with a full foot fin (if you dive in warm water), I'd seriously look at buying them as they are cheaper (and many would say better performing). If you need a fin to use in the cold water, then you have no choice but to get an open-foot fin (and a neoprene boot, which costs around $50).

Thx...Doug

no doubt that full foot fin is cheaper...but then must think in the long run cos if we intend to do shore diving...an open-foot fin + neoprene boot would be better right?? :)

In fact currently I'm using Full foot fin, which I rent from LDS when diving cos yet to get my very own one :D .. they work fine...in the short run..cos yet to try shore diving :D I guess the reason why most of my pals & other divers in the region get an open-foot fin is to prepare for shore diving cos walking bare foot can be a petty painful thing :D

I'm not much of a swimmer, but I just tried my new pair of Avanti Quatro over the weekend. I was not too sure about split fins because I like to frog kick. The Quatro fins are really fast. It's a big plus when you have to swim against the current. The Mares straps are fantastic. Easy to adjust with one hand. That's a big plus, too.:)

started out with a tusa imprex - because i needed to have my own for the OW classes, and the LDS didn't have one that 'looked cool' for rent.

got tired of huffin' and puffin' trying to keep up with my dive buddy so splurged myself on a pair of apollo split fins. boy was that a change. i could now zip through the water and keep up wid' the boys.

then came a sale with an irresistable price on a cooler looking pair of split fins (which incidentally is a bit stiffer than the apollos) so i bought those.

i hope you're getting the hint here.

and finally, i abought a pair of jet fins and have been using ever since. turned out all the diving tought me a couple things about finning techniques, and experiencing different dives helped me kinda figure out what kind of diving i want to get into.

oh, and using the ferrari of fins is no longer a big deal for me since i really enjoy being down in the mcuk looking at the shrimp & goby anyway :D

so, rent for now, and if you have to get your own, look for one that is reasonably priced. because with more dives under your belt, you might decide what you have now (not just fins, but possibly everything else you got) might not suit your need.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom