Getting back in the water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nubain1

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey everybody. Got a question about Lake Travis. I haven't been able to dive since the 1st of OCT because of being robbed while I was out of country and haveing to work my ass off to replace everything. That's a story for another time.
The question is this. Since the water temp is dropping like it is. Will a 7mm wetsuit be good for the lake? I'd love to get a dry suit but that will be a later purchase next year. So I wanted to sub with a 7mm until I could get one. Will it be ok or am I going to freeze my wedding tackle off in the water? And is there going to be anybody diving in the winter or am I the only crazy one that's willing to dive year round?

The answer kind of depends on your tolerance level. If you are willing to tolerate it, a 7 mil will function. Timeliner (this board) dives wet suits year round. I believe he has a 7 mil that he dives through the winter.

He also has a whole surface interval routine that he's perfected involving dry towels, warm clothes, a few thermos containers of hot water and what knot. He has his process perfected and he does dive year round. He usually dives Broken Bow and Murray.

So no. You are not the only crazy one. There's at least one more. Sorry to hear about the robbery thing :(

Looking at the Lake Travis site it shows a water temp of 67f to 60ffw....a 7mil would be just fine while in the water.

A 7mil should be no problem. I dove a 7/5 with a hooded vest and was toasty last weekend. The water temp was the same as this weekend...66 degrees from surface to 110'.

I have to admit I switched to a drysuit this weekend, but that's only because I just got it. Otherwise I would have been out there with my 7/5 again. The only trick is staying warm on your surface interval. Get that figured out and you should be good to go. :)

The answer kind of depends on your tolerance level. If you are willing to tolerate it, a 7 mil will function. Timeliner (this board) dives wet suits year round. I believe he has a 7 mil that he dives through the winter.

He also has a whole surface interval routine that he's perfected involving dry towels, warm clothes, a few thermos containers of hot water and what knot. He has his process perfected and he does dive year round. He usually dives Broken Bow and Murray.

So no. You are not the only crazy one. There's at least one more. Sorry to hear about the robbery thing :(

Actually, his "method" involves amish valets with warm towels and cognac. :shakehead:

Mr. Poye has been known to dive to 48F with just the bottom part of a two piece farmer john 7mm. I would say that his tolerance is pretty high. I have a Pinnacle 6.5 or 7mm (I forget which) that is relatively warm down to the mid-40's. Gloves are good. A hood is critical.

There are several nut jobs out there that dive through the winter in Texas. You won't be alone.

I've been diving in Lake Murray in February (46 degrees at depth) with my 7mm one-piece wetsuit (attached hood). Roasty-toasty. But, I do have a significant amount of bioprene, which helps, too.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom