getting a DG03 into the @!#$!@ bungee mount

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wheeledgoat

Covid Vaccinated
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Just bought myself my first dive computer - $200 for the discontinued DG03 from dive gear express, woo hoo! (Actually, I bought 2, one for myself, one for my daughter).

Also ordered the bungee mounts, as I'm a solid convert for those things.

When they arrived, FOR THE LIFE OF ME I couldn't get those suckers into the bungee mounts. And I'm a fairly handy guy. Before pushing it too far or damaging anything, I called DiveGearExpress for tips and help. They suggested warming the mounts in hot water and using "gentle force". :) Doing my utmost to be careful, I wound up damaging the mounts anyway. Super, super frustrating.

The story has a happy ending, however - DiveGearExpress offered to mount them for me in new mounts, and paid for shipping both ways. It doesn't get any better than that. Given the trouble I had, I was skeptical that it was possible until they arrived and I saw them neatly mounted with my own eyes.

So my first purpose of this post is to give kudos where it's been earned. Awesome customer service by Dive Gear Express!!

Secondly, though, can anyone PLEASE offer me some tips or tricks on how to mount computers into the bungee mounts. Are they all this hard? I'm eventually going to be looking at a battery change and it really bugs me that I'm apparantly incapable of doing this myself. A follow-up email to DGE said to get one end of the computer into the mount, and then lay the computer face down on a firm, flat surface, and the mount will "seat itself". I didn't have luck with this approach either.

Anyone?

You might want to ask about it over the the Deep Sea Supply sub-forum.

sorry. I was sure the Equipment -> Computers subforum was the right place for this.
thanks.
just double checking, you meant to say Deep Sea Supply sub-forum, even though the purchase was from Dive Gear Express?

Deep Sea Supply makes the mount. That is why you are being directed there. The guy that actually makes them would probably have the deepest understanding of them.
@cool_hardware52

oh! well don't I feel the fool... wise folks around here are 3 steps ahead of me. thanks guys.

Just bought myself my first dive computer - $200 for the discontinued DG03 from dive gear express, woo hoo! (Actually, I bought 2, one for myself, one for my daughter).

Also ordered the bungee mounts, as I'm a solid convert for those things.

When they arrived, FOR THE LIFE OF ME I couldn't get those suckers into the bungee mounts. And I'm a fairly handy guy. Before pushing it too far or damaging anything, I called DiveGearExpress for tips and help. They suggested warming the mounts in hot water and using "gentle force". :) Doing my utmost to be careful, I wound up damaging the mounts anyway. Super, super frustrating.

The story has a happy ending, however - DiveGearExpress offered to mount them for me in new mounts, and paid for shipping both ways. It doesn't get any better than that. Given the trouble I had, I was skeptical that it was possible until they arrived and I saw them neatly mounted with my own eyes.

So my first purpose of this post is to give kudos where it's been earned. Awesome customer service by Dive Gear Express!!

Secondly, though, can anyone PLEASE offer me some tips or tricks on how to mount computers into the bungee mounts. Are they all this hard? I'm eventually going to be looking at a battery change and it really bugs me that I'm apparantly incapable of doing this myself. A follow-up email to DGE said to get one end of the computer into the mount, and then lay the computer face down on a firm, flat surface, and the mount will "seat itself". I didn't have luck with this approach either.

Anyone?

The Most common problem is having the mount incorrectly "clocked" WRT to the instrument. The cut out for the download cable, and or the off center recess for the battery door both can provide clues about how the instrument and mount should be oriented.

Tobin

what Tobin said on clocking them, but here's how I do it.

Take the computer and rub a little bit of Dawn dish soap around it.
Take the mount and put it in a coffee cup and pour in some water from an electric kettle, keurig, sometimes the full hot water from a sink is enough.
Let the mount chill out for a couple minutes so it gets a bit softer.
Pop it in

the combo of the softened plastic from the heat and the lube from the dawn has worked quite well for me to get these things in. Out tends to be a bit easier

^^^^^ this ^^^^

I just do it with "Man" hands. :) However I've had more practice than pretty much anybody else on the planet.

The simple knowledge that it is indeed possible (once the instrument and mount are properly oriented) is likely the most valuable nugget out there.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom