Genesis React Pro vs Suunto Gekko

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubi Do

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

My son is looking to purchase his first dive computer ( fresh out of AOW) and he is contemplating between the Genesis React Pro and the Suunto Gekko, predomanently based on price.

His main requisite is a wrist mount and both units have become available, new, at a price he can justify. Anyone out there have an opinion as to either unit and any particular preference of one over the other?

Cheers

Hi Scubi Do

There are so many good entry level computers, I'm sure either of these would be fine. The Genesis has a liberal Pelagic Pressure Systems decompression algorithm (Oceanic, Aeris-both also good choices) and is PC downloadable with a modestly priced kit. The Suunto has a conservative proprietary decompression algorithm, is not PC downloadable, has a phosphorescent display some are very fond of. Good luck to your son in his computer purchase.

Good diving, Craig

Hi all,

My son is looking to purchase his first dive computer ( fresh out of AOW) and he is contemplating between the Genesis React Pro and the Suunto Gekko, predomanently based on price.

His main requisite is a wrist mount and both units have become available, new, at a price he can justify. Anyone out there have an opinion as to either unit and any particular preference of one over the other?

Cheers

Do they even make the Geneis React Pro anymore? that's an old computer.

Nothing wrong with it. I've got one and it works great.

But as a wrist computer, there are better choices. I've worn mine on my wrist and it's like putting a big "hockey puck" on your wrist as a watch. There are much newer computers out there that aren't as big or as thick for wearing on your wrist. Check out the Tusa IQ-700 for example. It's large format, but not as thick.

The main thing I don't like about the React Pro is underwater I have to press a button to see my max depth and bottom time. I would prefer all this information be on the main screen, which is did in the "one button" computer that Genesis/Sherwood had before the two button React.

Otherwise, the React Pro is easy to use.

Although it reports bottom temp, it's also VERY SLOW to change temps when you reach the bottom. I guess this is because of minimal water flow into the boot. It also show bottom temp for later reference in the viewable logs on the computers, but it stores it and you can retrieve it if you have the download kit. WHY would they have not included this in viewing on the computer if they log it? frustrating.

The "download kit" is way overpriced in my opinion also.

As for This computer verses the Suunto. I'm not a big Suunto fan as they are very conservative, but they make a good computer.

I would suggest you buy neither of these and look for a more modern computer with more features, as technology has improved since these were built. In the long run, he'll want to get a fancier one later, so why spend the extra money on this computer now only to have to upgrade later. (just my opinion). If keeping initial price "low" is an issue as it appears it might be, then that's understandable though.

BTW.... you can dowload the Genesis React Pro manual off their web page for review before purchae so he can see all the modes and how it works. Maybe you can for Suunto also. If you can't get the manual off Genesis web page, or elsewhere on the web, let me know and I can email it to you.

Back
Top Bottom