Genesis/Catalina/Asahi Problem with hydro!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender

Contributor
Reaction score
The hp tanks made by Asahi of japan and sold by catalina and genesis in the states has not yet renewed their DOT exemption. The specific exemption is DOT E 12079 and is clearly marked on the tank. This means that you cannot get your tank hydro'd by any law abiding dot inspector. I've contacted both genesis and catalina and got reasuring but not very time certain answers. basically they told me that they are in the process of getting the exemption renewed and it will be done "very shortly." not the best answer but sure better than "never". anyway thought i post this so any other owners will be made aware so they dont get completely surprised by their dot inspector or dive shop.

shouldn't be a problem for tanks you lready own should it?

rjchandler:

thats exactley the problem. if you own these tanks and you are in need of a hydro you have to wait until catalina gets a new exemption. granted if your LDS doesnt notice its out of hydro you have no problem but if they do they might not fill the tank. im sure many shops would actually notice the date and not fill it. i say many because ive filled tanks for monthes before anyone has noticed in the past.

Unfortunately it is.

Tanks are either made to a established DOT standard, like 3AA, or to an exemption that the manufacturer or vendor obtains, that is specific to that tank model. The exemption is only good for a certain amount of time, after which it expires and must be renewed by the manufacturer. If it isn't, then all the tanks made to that exemption are no longer legal under DOT regs, and can not longer be hydrotested, and hence, become very difficult to get filled. It has nothing to do with whether the tank was legal when you bought it, and there's nothing the tank owner can do about it on an individual level.

rjchandler:

oxyhacker:
Unfortunately it is.

there's nothing the tank owner can do about it on an individual level.

There is one thing you can do.

Raise H**l with the manufacturer and with the shop you bought it from. If the tank maker gets the idea that failing to support their product will cost them present and future sales then they will stay on top of their paperwork better.

the exemption for the above mentioned tanks has been renewed. catalina faxed me a copy today. although i probably had nothing to do with the process i've decided to take full credit for getting the exemption renewed. after all, i sent two emails and focused on this for at least 7 minutes. according to my boss and wife this is a record for dedication to any endeavor for me. it is my humble belief that all genesis and catalina tank owners are indebted to me. all hail me!!!

Back
Top Bottom