Genesis Atlas - anyone know this reg?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bigredbill

Contributor
Reaction score
I have a chance to buy a new Genesis Atlas at an absolutely screaming good price and was wondering if anyone on the board has any opinion and/or experience with this reg?

I would be buying it for my son -almost 12 years old - who will soon be learning to dive. I want to give him a non-adjustable 2nd stage, at least at first, and the second on this one seems to be fairly simple with a dive/predive switch. My original intent was to outfit him with either an Oceanic Alpha, or some other as of yet undetermined 1st with an older Conshelf XIV chrome 2nd (metal seems like a good thing for a 12 year old's reg), but I can get this Atlas at a price I probably can't touch with any other quality, uncomplicated reg.

Has anyone rebuilt one? as I am starting to service this stuff myself.

Thanks for the opinions!!

Hiya,

I have a Genesis Atlas reg, which I have always been happy with. The only problem I am having is that the high pressure seat has blown, and I can't seem to find spare parts anywhere on the net. Did you buy this reg for your son in the end? If so, any advice on where I can get the spare parts i need?

Thanks in advance for the help!

I just got certified on Gensis/Sherwood gear, and I found that I didn't like the genesis line as much as the sherwood. Compared to the sherwoods, the genesis stuff has more pieces to service, are more difficult, and require more special tools. After the class, I was glad that I'll only have to service sherwoods.

That being said, the genesis regs that we rebuilt in class were all good breathers, and performed well (on the surface, at least).

StarsasBubblemaker:
Hiya,

I have a Genesis Atlas reg, which I have always been happy with. The only problem I am having is that the high pressure seat has blown, and I can't seem to find spare parts anywhere on the net. Did you buy this reg for your son in the end? If so, any advice on where I can get the spare parts i need?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that Sherwood high pressure seats are the exact same as Genesis high pressure seats.

Genesis Atlas is what we have on most of our rental/class regs which are definitely used and abused. They seem to last well and I've seen the shop owner fix minor problems quickly and easily. Seem to last well with lots of use though!! I also used them in cold water (<40F) and had no free-flows.

I'm personally going to go up to the GS2000 very shortly when I purchase my own regs, I love how easy they breath(e)???? sp?

......soon enough I'll have my GS2000.........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom