General advice to new scuba divers: do not waste your money!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I wish it was that cheap everywhere.... It would be much easier to convince friends to try it.
In my 19 years on ScubaBord, this is the firt time I can remember anyone talking about how expensive Disover Scuba classes are. That frankly floors me. For the operator/operator instructor, the purpose of the class is to entice students to go for full certification. It seems like idiocy to price it out of the reach of prospective students.

Many years ago I dived with an operator in Aruba who talked about the fact that he used to do the nearly free Discover Scuba classes for a hotel that went out of business. He said that was how he had gotten nearly all of his students, and losing that introduction nearly put him out of business, too.

In my 19 years on ScubaBord, this is the firt time I can remember anyone talking about how expensive Disover Scuba classes are. That frankly floors me. For the operator/operator instructor, the purpose of the class is to entice students to go for full certification. It seems like idiocy to price it out of the reach of prospective students.

Many years ago I dived with an operator in Aruba who talked about the fact that he used to do the nearly free Discover Scuba classes for a hotel that went out of business. He said that was how he had gotten nearly all of his students, and losing that introduction nearly put him out of business, too.

I believe that I used to charge $25 for the pool discover scuba. I gave them $25 credit for the real course if they signed up within a month from the date of the DSC. I charged less when we did the DSC at the client's pool. (I don't remember the exact details of the prices now). I know that if the DSC was for a relative(s) of a former student or a VIP customer, we didn't charge anything when it was done at their pool.

You misspelled a word, it is uncharacteristic of you, are you OK? :p
Good question. Maybe you can help.

I am a very bad typist. Considering all the writing I have done in my lifetime, I believe I would be at least three years younger now if I had learned to type properly. I make tons of typos. I usually edit my posts for them, and I have to even learned to reread my posts after posting to edit those typos. My propensity for typos is the reason you will never see me violating Muphry's Law.

I am helped mightily by software that highlights potential typos, but for some reason I do not get that assistance with ScubaBoard. I have to spot them all by myself, and spotting your own errors is very hard because you read what you intented to write rather than what you actually wrote. ScubaBoard used to have spellcheck, so the fact that it does not have it now suggests to me that I should have some option for it that I don't know about. If you know how I can get that feature, please let me know.

I wouldn't say it's super expensive anywhere I've been, but I've never seen it that cheap. In this area, most of the DSD classes are done as shore dives or springs dives and run $125. Not crazy spendy, but not the $10-$25 range that makes it a super easy choice for some one to try.

spotting your own errors is very hard because you read what you intented to write rather than what you actually wrote.
My bolding above.... not gonna lie, that gave me a chuckle. If I had a dollar for every typo I make here, I wouldn't need to worry about the price of a DSD!

I am helped mightily by software that highlights potential typos, but for some reason I do not get that assistance with ScubaBoard. I have to spot them all by myself, and spotting your own errors is very hard because you read what you intented to write rather than what you actually wrote. ScubaBoard used to have spellcheck, so the fact that it does not have it now suggests to me that I should have some option for it that I don't know about. If you know how I can get that feature, please let me know.

I have it but it is part of the web browser I am using, an add-on to the browser not from ScubaBoard.

I am just teasing you, I hope that you realize that :)

I wouldn't say it's super expensive anywhere I've been, but I've never seen it that cheap. In this area, most of the DSD classes are done as shore dives or springs dives and run $125. Not crazy spendy, but not the $10-$25 range that makes it a super easy choice for some one to try.
Mine was pool only. Open water would be more. Pool only can be done by a DM; OW requires an instructor. OW ratios are different. Logistics are more complicated.

OK, I
I have it but it is part of the web browser I am using, an add-on to the browser not from ScubaBoard.

I am just teasing you, I hope that you realize that :)
OK, I finally figured it out! You have just saved me a lot of aggravation. My Chrome had spellcheck turned off, and I had to restart the computer to turn it on.

Yes, I knew you were just teasing.

"Try scuba" is perhaps the closest one can get to "trying scuba on like a pair of shoes." It's perhaps pricey, compared to a lot of other activities. I had my first scuba-experience as part of a college "adventure" course. (Thinking back, that course was amazing, we did knot-tying horse-back riding, and a bunch of other random stuff)

That theoretically shouldn't be an issue you have to worry about, assuming you follow your training, and buy new, or have used equipment properly serviced.

Regulators were the one component I thought was VERY pooly explained. I'm a technical person, and even a mechanical person, and I barely understood what that spaghetti-mess was beyond how to use each hose or device.

These days I more fully understand it's not "a regulator" but rather individual components, connected by hoses, and that these components can be swapped with ease. (for the most part) Just make sure if you do, it's slightly more than hand-tight using a tool.
  • 1st Stage Regulator: The thing that hooks up to your tank. It distributes air to everything else. It also has two pressure outputs. (1) Tank-pressure (i.e. 3000 psi) which goes to your SPG. (2) Regulated pressure, around 135 to 140psi.
  • 2nd Stage Regulator: The thing you breathe out of. This also brings pressure down from 140psi to around ambient pressure - or the pressure of the water around you.
  • Octo: An "octo" just another backup/extra 2nd stage. Nothing special about an octo, other than it may have a yellow face plate. You can use practically any 2nd stage, though you might as well go cheap.
  • SPG: A gauge that measures air-pressure from the tank.
  • Hoses: Hoses can be swapped as needed. You can get longer or shorter hoses.
    • There are kinda 3 hose types. (1) High-pressure hose, which goes to your SPG or any pressure-monitoring device. (2) Low pressure hose, which goes to your regulators and (3) BCD hose which is a hose with an integrated quick release.
    • BCD hose: Allows you to inflate your BCD (or dry-suit) from your tank. These can be swapped, if the quick-release is incompatible with your BCD.
    • For hoses, you can get different colors of hoses. Different lengths of hoses. You can also get "flex hoses."
  • Port Plugs: Your first stage may have a number of high-pressure and low-pressure ports. Inside any unused port is a port-plug. You can add or remove devices by removing-or-adding port plugs. You can even swap which port one of your devices is screwed into.
Features:
  • Environmentally sealed: Without this, water enters your first stage, and water-pressure is used to help balance the pressure against ambient-pressure. With this, water does not enter the first stage. (Usually, there's a rubbery seal on the outside, and silicone-grease on the inside, and pressure is "transmitted" that way). One advantage of this is reducing salt-water corrosion. Also helps with very cold water, though not required.
  • Cold Water: Some regulators are designed for cold-water use. Probably not worth worrying about, unless you intend to dive in below-50f waters.
  • Balanced: Breathes nicer usually. I'll let someone else describe this.
  • 2nd stage knobs - One allows you to adjust how easy it breathes or goes into free-flow. Another is Venturi assist, which can also help it breathe easier. These aren't super-important, and to be honest I almost always forget they exist when on a dive.
  • Piston vs Diaphragm - It's the component which helps your first-stage "know" when your regulator has reached the 140psi and needs to stop. I don't think new scuba-divers need to worry about this.
I'm probably missing stuff, and there are probably a couple very minor highly-technical inaccuracies or wrong-terms in there that I'm sure people will correct me on, but this should help a new-ish diver get started.
I knew most of that - but not all. However it's a real good comprehensive overview. Thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom