gear storage: bins vs bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FWIW the gear bag I'm referring to is like a very large duffle.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

In that case, it is too big for a dive boat too! :)

OK if I were still a shore diver I'd be a tub/bin person. The reason I still use a plastic tub with lid for my regs is to keep any potential creepy crawlers (or hair or dust) out of the mouthpieces and to take care that they aren't stepped on ' or like that there'.

Last edited:
BP/W, regs and backuplights very rarely gets taken off my doubles. They just live there. On my doubles, in my car. Primary light, camera, bottom timers, gloves, hood, mask, double enders, SMB/spools and wetnotes live in a small bin. Scooter lives in the shower. Drysuit gets shuffled between shower and hallway(Small student-appartment...)

mesh bag for transporting everything but my drysuit and undersuit. drysuit has it's own bag, undersuit gets thrown on top. twinset in the car boot. at home, drysuit hung up. At the moment, everything else is strewn around my house drying since my other half is abroad until august and I don't have to put it away. Normally, i would dry it out between the bathroom and dive cupboard and once dry, everything back in the mesh bag

I use a large tub for shore dives out of the Jeep, mesh bag for single-day boat dives.

My tub is like the image below, except I lost the top forever ago; never used it anyway. It holds my BP/W, booties, gloves reg, wet suit, etc etc, basically everything but my tanks and camera. I love my tub; bags just get in the way if you're shore diving and let water from wet gear get all over the back of your car. With a tub, all of the water that drips off of the gear stays in the tub, meaning I have to spray down the cargo liner far less often. There's also the added bonus of being able to use it to rinse your gear after the dive.
View attachment 179578

On a boat it's different. A large mesh bag that will hold everything really comes in handy, and it's easy to unpack and stow out of everybody's way. Can't do that with a bin or tub!

I use a tub and am in the process of making wheels and a handle for it (for ease of pulling it around from the car to charter boats if it's a fair walk).

For shore diving the bin goes straight in the back of the car with all my gear apart from camera.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a Rubbermaid tote that fits in my hatchback. I stuff everything in my mesh bag and the bag fits in the tote so my car stays dry. When I get to the dive site, I pull the bag out and leave the tote in, nice and clean. Wet stuff goes back in the bag and the tote and my car stays nice and dry!

On a boat I use the same bag and a milk crate for the extras.

I use 3 half height bins in the back of my hatchback.

One for my drysuit, one for the bpw, and the third for everything else.

I also carry a small tool bag for emergency stuffs.

On boats up here, I take 1 bin with me (either stored in the forward bulkhead, or uptop somewhere - for if one of us gets soaked in our drysuits, there is a place to put the garments without soaking everything on board) otherwise I just carry it all on with the small bag.

BRad

Bin for shore dives from car and storage at home. Wetsuit and bc hang in closet I store bin in. Bag for boats.

This is what I have for use for a bin. I keep clingy used things in this and the rest goes in storage in plastic tubs. While on vacation, I use a mesh duffel bag.

9yzuruze.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bin for shore diving, bag for boat diving, bag for travel. During dive season, gear is left hanging when put up to dry until the next dive - when it goes into the bin or bag, depending on where I am going.

For off-season storage, wetsuits hung in my closet and everything else stored in the bin - including the bag. (except my tanks, of course :) )

Back
Top Bottom