I've got a giftcard to a motorcycle shop... would this gear bag work well for Scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Sure, it's designed for Dirtbiking. But I'm wondering if it would work well for Scuba? I'm new to the sport, so not sure what I specifically need or want to look for in a bag for hauling my gear to international dive destinations

AK Large Roller - Black | American Kargo
American Kargo Gear Bag Roller

Any reason that camera-like goggle storage compartment couldn't well hold my mask and regulators? But the BC or the BP/W into the main, with fins, etc.?

Are seperate dry/wet compartments much of a need for this sort of bag?

And/or, for local use, could also snag one of these which does have ventilation and also clean/dirty separation (but its a duffel bag, so not for international travel so much:

AK Gear Bag - Black | American Kargo
American Kargo Gear Bag

Last but not least, I have a ton of backpacks, but I could also look at this backpack which might work well?:

AK Trooper Bag - Black | American Kargo
American Kargo Trooper Backpack

Not sure how necessary good dedicated gear bags are, or what I should be prioritizing in one!

Thanks for the help!

any of these should be fine. dive gear does not know or care what type of bag it is in.

remember that dive gear manufacturers do not make bags, they make dive gear. any bag you see with a dive gear logo on it is mostly a marketing exercise.

if you want good gear bags, buy them from a gear bag manufacturer.

p.s. for international travel you want the lightest bag possible so that you can drag more gear. you also need to be careful when sizing carry on bags.

p.s. for international travel you want the lightest bag possible so that you can drag more gear. you also need to be careful when sizing carry on bags.
Exactly. These bags linked are too big to check and probably too heavy (when filled) as well.

Any reason that camera-like goggle storage compartment couldn't well hold my mask and regulators? But the BC or the BP/W into the main, with fins, etc.?
Do you want the mask in one piece on arrival? I wouldn't put it in that goggle area and check it. The next hard bag slams into it down the carousel and your mask is in pieces.

Does that section come out? Because it looks like a reg bag might fit that space. I personally carry-on my mask, regs, computer, video camera etc. - anything I don't think can take the stress of being checked.

I also have a big soft bag like that for BC, fins, clothes, misc. that I check. It's been everywhere over the last decade. Mine is actually a tennis bag so the side racket pocket also holds (barely) a set of XL fins.

I'd find out about the weight of the bag also - I believe a set of dive gear is heavier than a set of gear used for motocross. You've only got 50lbs. before you have to pay more. All my checked gear etc. for a week is around 42-44 - if my buddy brings a heavier suit, I have to take some of his stuff - he has an Akona wheeled dive bag with hard supports inside it that maintain the shape/protect his gear. You might check to see what that AK bag has for structure - if it's all just soft-sided your stuff might take more abuse.

Is there a big bag like it available without the goggles part? Or are those (American Kargo) your only options?

I kind of like that smaller carry-on gear bag but $175 seems a little ridiculous unless you've got to use up the g/c.

Revzilla!!!! The other place where my paycheck goes apart from diving. :)

I would find out how heavy the roller bag is -- if it's super heavy, you won't be able to fit much without having to pay excess baggage fees. Otherwise, it should work. I'm a sucker for tarpaulin material on my travel gear -- think The North Face Base Camp material. I've had my original medium rolling thunder for the past 8 years, traveling internationally or domestically 3-4 times a year for about 4-6 weeks a year. It has held up well and comes with a lifetime warranty on zippers and stitching. I picked up the large recently for dive trips to get everything in one bag.

I prefer having a large rolling bag like you've linked to but I also like one big large compartment instead of smaller organizational compartments. I like using a mesh backpack to carry to and from the dive boat; I pack that at the bottom of my roller.

For carry on bag, I don't do roller, I just do a backpack. I have a backpack that has straps that tuck away so that I can carry it like a briefcase or I can carry it like a pack. It opens like traditional luggage (like wings) so it's perfect for regs, mask, etc., and can also fit my electronics (computer, charger, ipad, etc.)

The other alternative is to use your Revzilla gift card for something else and then find a bag from someone else that works better for you if the bike bags are pretty heavy as is.

outofoffice - you ride too eh!! Makes sense, you've got that California sun. I drove down to San Fran on PCH a couple summers ago, and lanesplitting the Bay Bride ruined me for life. They need to hurry up and legalize that up here in the NW.

Yeah, I've decided to just put it all towards the bike. Was trying to get creative, but, meh. CRG foldable roll a click levers will look good on the Street Triple :wink:

Scuba is going to blow my budget to hell and back anyway, so it appears... and I thought the bike was bad!!!

outofoffice - you ride too eh!! Makes sense, you've got that California sun. I drove down to San Fran on PCH a couple summers ago, and lanesplitting the Bay Bride ruined me for life. They need to hurry up and legalize that up here in the NW.

Yeah, I've decided to just put it all towards the bike. Was trying to get creative, but, meh. CRG foldable roll a click levers will look good on the Street Triple :wink:

Scuba is going to blow my budget to hell and back anyway, so it appears... and I thought the bike was bad!!!
I'm getting a good laugh -- we both have expensive hobbies, whether on asphalt or in water!

I have a Honda CBR. I'm thinking of picking up at Kawasaki ZX-6R in the next 6 months or so. Love splitting; makes traffic a breeze and there is TONS in San Francisco area.

You'll be so happy with aftermarket levers; makes a big difference! PM me if you want to chat regulators of dive bag/gear bags. Or motorcycles, too. Nice to see another rider on the forum. Sending you my virtual "wave".

I use an XL duffel bag that used to carry my lacrosse equipment back in the day. I would have to measure it, but it is not available at the moment. I would guess its somewhere in the 36-48" length range and about 18" x 18" width and depth. It's fantastic and I use it whenever I need to check a bag for travel. BC, fins, drysuit--I can lug just about everything I need. Maybe I am an above average packer, but I have also never had a weight issue with scuba gear. The most it has checked in at was 45lb and usually averages around 38 (people end up giving me stuff to carry).

I did a quick google search and couldn't find my exact bag, but two that caught my eye were

Amazon.com: Heavy Duty Large Square Cargo Duffel Jumbo Gear Bag Big Equipment Bag Sport Duffel Oversized Travel Bag Huge Rack Bag: Clothing

https://www.amazon.com/Super-Heavyw..._UL200_SR160,200_&refRID=3MBC9H1C62FX21GTRKTP

I'm not a big scuba diver, but I imagine a high-quality motorcycle bag would be big enough and durable enough to handle the equipment.

I'm getting a good laugh -- we both have expensive hobbies, whether on asphalt or in water!

I have a Honda CBR. I'm thinking of picking up at Kawasaki ZX-6R in the next 6 months or so. Love splitting; makes traffic a breeze and there is TONS in San Francisco area.

You'll be so happy with aftermarket levers; makes a big difference! PM me if you want to chat regulators of dive bag/gear bags. Or motorcycle, too. Nice to see another rider on the forum. Sending you my virtual "wave".

Back
Top Bottom