Gear selection opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, there is a local dive shop (not the one I have been going to) that is a "Mares Lab" as listed on the Mares website. I have not yet contacted them, but I would assume that they would carry the parts since they are a certified service shop.

However, with traveling and possible problems that arise on trips, would it be better to go with a Zeagle? I saw really good reviews on the mares, which is why I am looking at that reg, but I was not aware of parts/service issues. Like I stated, I am njot too familiar or knowledgable with regs.

Zeagle makes great regs:D I have them and love them. I do not know about there BC:idk:I have read a lot of good things about them.

However, with traveling and possible problems that arise on trips, would it be better to go with a Zeagle? I saw really good reviews on the mares, which is why I am looking at that reg, but I was not aware of parts/service issues. Like I stated, I am njot too familiar or knowledgable with regs.
Most common reg problems that might arise during a trip should be relatively straightforward to fix -- leaky connection, freeflow, torn mouthpiece, sand in the second stage. Any competent reg tech should be able to address these issues.

AFAIK, Aqualung and Scubapro probably have the widest distribution of authorized dealers/repair places throughout the world.

You can do a few things to minimize complications with your regs while on a trip:
  • Rinse/soak your reg in fresh water, especially after salt water dives.
  • Have your reg overhauled at regular service intervals.
  • Do not have your reg serviced right before the trip. Regs tend to have issues following servicing. Even with proper assembly/tuning, the seats in the regulator need to take a set. As this occurs, the reg will require some adjustment.
  • Transport your reg with care.
  • Bring along overhaul kits for your first and second stages. This would be very helpful for a competent reg tech who might not normally work on your brand/model of reg.
  • Add common spares and tools to your save-a-dive kit (port plug o-rings, swivel o-rings, SPG spools + o-rings, DIN and yoke o-rings, o-rings for your BCD power inflater assembly, inflater assembly tool, o-ring picks, zipties, wrenches for removing/replacing hoses, allen wrenches for removing/replacing port plugs and adjusting the IP, reg mouthpiece, etc.).
Probably the best thing to do is learn how to work on your own regs. This takes a significant investment in time and effort, though. As you gain experience in the sport, it might be something to think about. Personally, I got tired of running back and forth to the reg repair shop asking the guys there to fix my freeflowing reg. YMMV.

I just want to say thanks for all the great info from everybody!

Back
Top Bottom