Gear selection opinions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A2thaK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
First off, I have decided NOT to go with a BP/W setup, before the endless suggestions for that come in. I have done a bit of research and have come up with this setup I am thinking about going with.

Zeagle Stiletto: I wanted a lightweight but good all around BC. This seemed to be a good choice for travel and local diving.
Mares Votrex reg with MR22T: I do not know much about choosing regs, but there seemed to be good feedback on this.
Viper Octo:same as reg
Veo 100NX wrist comp: I don't need anything too fancy, and I think this should handle my needs.
Tusa SCA 240 console & compass: Just chose a SPG and compass combo. Is there much of a difference here?

About me: I am recently O/W certified. Planning on doing several trips to Cozumel and Carribean a year, with local lake dives around home (OK). Don't plan on really cold water diving or cave diving. Maybe nitrox and advanced diving in future, but who knows.

Please give me any feedback before I order from scubatoys.

Thanks, Adam

Stiletto would be my choice, make sure you get the flushing inflator that can be flushed with a garden hose.

Adam
I'm not that familiar with the Zeagle BCDs. Why should the OP choose the Stiletto over the Brigade or the Escape?

I am interested in the Stiletto, because from what I read its a little lighter weight and easier to travel with then the brigade. The express is a small BP/W type BC I believe. That is just what I've found from researching the forums the last few weeks.

Zeagle Stiletto: I wanted a lightweight but good all around BC. This seemed to be a good choice for travel and local diving.

If you don't want BPW, then I'd suggest that you should consider the Dive Rite Transpac. It's soft & comfortable but still behaves somewhat like a hard plate. It gives you the freedom of movement and the fit that a jacket BC cannot give you.

Dive Rite Scuba Gear and Dive Equipment
Dive Rite Travel EXP Wing reviews and discounts, Dive Rite

Transpac harness + Travel Wing = $648 + about $100 for weight pouches unless you go cheap and get yourself a weight belt. I'm sure that it's more expensive than a Stilleto, but a BC is something that you will use for a long time and a BC that fits you well more than pays itself back to you for underwater comfort and performance.

Tusa SCA 240 console & compass: Just chose a SPG and compass combo. Is there much of a difference here?

Get yourself a separate pressure gauge and separate compass. Wear the compass on your forearm/wrist so that you can use it without having to whip out the whole console.

The Stiletto has the preferred rip-cord release over the Escape.

Adam
OK, thanks for the info, Adam.

@A2thaK: Is there a local LDS that repairs/services Mares regs? Or do you plan to just send the regs back to Scubatoys for overhauls and inspections? It's something to think about.

Good unit for what you want. Plus, Zeagle is outstanding in terms of customer service if you ever need help.
Mares Votrex reg with MR22T: I do not know much about choosing regs, but there seemed to be good feedback on this.
Good reg. Fantastic price on ST, by the way. Ordinarily, I would not pick Mares, simply because of unpredictable issues getting parts in the US, but it shouldn't be a problem with a new unit. I have a Mares MR12 and it works fine, I just prefer my Zeagle and Apeks regs for parts availability. Bubbletrubble's question is a good one - where will you have it serviced?
Usually, like fnfalman I suggest getting separate units - a wrist-mount compass and a SPG by itself. But, the ST price is so low it is hard to argue against the combo console.

First off, I have decided...

Please give me any feedback before I order from scubatoys.

"I have found the best way to give advice to people is to find out what they want to do... and then advise them to do it."

Harry S. Truman (paraphrased)

OK, thanks for the info, Adam.

@A2thaK: Is there a local LDS that repairs/services Mares regs? Or do you plan to just send the regs back to Scubatoys for overhauls and inspections? It's something to think about.

Yes, there is a local dive shop (not the one I have been going to) that is a "Mares Lab" as listed on the Mares website. I have not yet contacted them, but I would assume that they would carry the parts since they are a certified service shop.

However, with traveling and possible problems that arise on trips, would it be better to go with a Zeagle? I saw really good reviews on the mares, which is why I am looking at that reg, but I was not aware of parts/service issues. Like I stated, I am njot too familiar or knowledgable with regs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom