Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My Othree drysuit. Messed about with buying various off the peg drysuits with varying success. Then decided enough was enough and bit the bullet on a made to measure Othree drysuit. Best diving purchase I have made.

I totally agree, and their customer services is second to none!

I totally agree, and their customer services is second to none!

Absolutely. I can’t fault them for service or the quality of their drysuits. I had mine fitted using a Skype video fitting as I couldn’t get down to their factory. They are in a different league when it comes to service.

According to the owner of my dive shop, I'll regret ALL of my gear :laugh: None of it was bought through him :rolleyes:

I like them owners quite a bit but I bring in a zeagle ranger and a SP reg set that was given to us. He's a SP dealer, but the primary is old school and unpopular (380), and the ranger hasn't been updated in 50 years. We can't afford new everything, and this was literally free. You're making a couple hundred bucks off me today getting everything serviced. And it cost you exactly 0 overhead. Shut up and take my money :laugh:

I have a new (to me) diver ite plate and wing, has an air 2 on it. I fortunately decide to mate up my reg set to the air 2 and whoops, we have a problem. So I take it up to get the right connectors and end up spending $50 on a new LP hose. "Nathan, when are we finally going to get you out of this diverite stuff?" I literally just bought it, 0 dives with it until Monday when I put it in the pool. "Why did you go with diverite? That's tech stuff. It hasn't been updated in 50 years (everything I own apparently is 50 years out of date). Besides it's totally bare bones. And if you buy new regs from me, you'll save money on the services because of the free parts." I dive an almost new mk25/s600. To replace it with exactly the same set I have, it will take close to a decade of servicing to break even. I'm fine giving you some money from time to time.

Now here's the funny thing. The BCD I had planned on buying for quite a while, was the aqualung rogue. HIS BCD is the rogue. The one thing we both really liked about it, was how bare bones it is. I DON'T WANT all kinds of crap on me. This has a pocket, it has ditchable weights, it's comfy. You just made another $50 from me. SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY :laugh:

I still like the rogue, my only complaint with it was it could use 1 more pocket or at least a slightly bigger pocket. If I was planning on buying new, I would still go with it. My pool dive with the dive rite transpac went well, I think I'm going to like it quite a bit. It did push me face down at the surface, the rogue did not. But I'm 90% sure it's a weighting issue. I was overweighted. One of the reasons I was in the pool, I have a trip scheduled 2 days from now, wanted to get a ballpark on weight with the new BC. So I had 4 pounds more than I needed. The rogue places the weights vertically towards your back, the DR had the pockets horizontally close to the front. I pulled the harness apart yesterday, the pockets are now vertical right above my kidneys. I think I'll be good then.

A Surf-Fur parka style robe/jacket. It was actually a birthday present but I love it.

Also, one of those Kevlar type wagons that Costco sells during the Spring/summer. It makes lugging my dive gear around Catalina way easier.

I love all my gear, but the four things I would be really sad to be without would be my moldable mouth piece, my prescription mask, my bp/w and my vest and hood...

A Surf-Fur parka style robe/jacket. It was actually a birthday present but I love it.

Also, one of those Kevlar type wagons that Costco sells during the Spring/summer. It makes lugging my dive gear around Catalina way easier.
Not Kevlar, only Nylon. After watching others use one to haul gear to and from the boat I got one. The folding hand truck broke after one trip to the boat. The wagon holds stuff much better. The rubber off the tires stunk for about 6 months. But is fine now.

What stuff do you LOVE?
1. Liquivision X1 computer;
2. (Diving Concepts) trilam drysuit;
3. Dive Rite canister light;
4. Halcyon Eclipse 30lb wing;
5. Comfo-Bite mouthpieces;
6. Apeks ATX 200 regulators;
7. Henderson AquaLock 5mm wetsuit;
8. Mares Quattro fins

Santi E-lite Drysuit - it's just so well-made
Dry gloves (Santi Smart Gloves) - finally, not getting cold water channeling up my wrist seals!
She-P (boy talk about something I would have said nope, nopeity nope nope to on Day 1 of OW class)

Although ironically I sure do relish dives in warm water where I can leave all 3 items at home. I certainly wouldn't be diving much locally if I were still in a wetsuit.

Do you take the wagon on the ferry?
Yes. They make us fold it up though.

It's not an issue as we have all of our gear in a big bag (except BCDs and tanks) that we put in the wagon. So they just put that bag down the storage ramp then put the wagon down. They have us put our tanks on the back of the boat by the bikes, and we wear our BCDs or put them under the seat.

Back
Top Bottom