Gear purchases you DON’T regret

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Halcyon Eclipse system. Still kicking after 11 years, though the I changed the inner bladder recently. The RF welds were all fine but the plastic fittings started to crack.

My Shearwaters
Xdeep Ghost, Zeos, Stealth 2.0 Tech
Thermolution heated vest
K-01 hood
Deep 6 regs
Deep 6 eddy fins
DUI CLX450 dry suit
4th Element Halo 3D undergarment
Suunto compass
Big Blue canister light

All of these have served (and continue to serve) me quite well.

:)

I was reading some other threads about gear people really loved, for example, What a great bag!!

And then I saw another thread about gear purchases people regretted: Any equipment buying regrets ?

So I then got the idea to start a thread of gear purchases people DON’T regret one bit, like stuff people thought were REALLY GREAT!

I’m going to start with my list - I LOVE these items:
  • Shearwater Perdix - needs no introduction
  • Mares Cruise Deluxe - so practical, so durable, so inexpensive, so easily purchasable (i.e. via Amazon)
  • Beanie (any brand) - I literally cannot dive without one as this keeps my hair out of my face, and makes mask don/doff so much easier
  • Henderson Thermaxx 5mm - damn it’s stretchy, easy to don and doff, moulds to every lump and bump on imperfect bodies
  • Henderson Thermaxx 5/3mm hooded vest - same as above; I don’t even know how they can get a hooded vest to feel NOT constricting - boggles my mind
I would buy these items again if I ever lost them or they died due to old age.

What about you? What stuff do you LOVE? :heart:

going from a cheap novo zoop to a Perdix A.I. computer that zoop was insanely difficult to figure out every single dive. Perdix I feel like albert einstein and that i am DEFINITELY not

on my Tusa fins going from the clip in straps to the super duper nice steel bungie style. no clipping just pull over. WHAT A DIFFERENCE!

Going from standard gloves to gloves with zippers on them. Oh god I will never ever go back to gloves without zippers!!!

Those are my 3 recommendations to other noobs like me. easy to use computer. even if its way more expensive, bungie strap fins, and zipper gloves. also in colder waters buy a warmer suit if possible. i.e.I dive in monterey and bought a 7 mil suit. mistake. Buy and 8/7 semi dry suit. This is for us new divers who dont want to jump into drysuit diving.

For me the list would include:

-Scubapro style cam bands (no more fiddling with strap tension on the boat!)
-Spring straps for fins
-Deep Sea Supply bp/w setup
-40" second stage reg hose with swivel
-Necklace holder for backup second stage
-USB cable for my dive computer and use of Subsurface to log dives
-Building my own save a dive kit in a fishing tackle box (paid for itself already vs missed dives)

Don't own a Shearwater or a drysuit yet (relatively new diver), but from the looks of this thread those should be on my radar. :-D

For me the list would include:

-Scubapro style cam bands (no more fiddling with strap tension on the boat!)
-Spring straps for fins
-Deep Sea Supply bp/w setup
-40" second stage reg hose with swivel
-Necklace holder for backup second stage
-USB cable for my dive computer and use of Subsurface to log dives
-Building my own save a dive kit in a fishing tackle box (paid for itself already vs missed dives)

Don't own a Shearwater or a drysuit yet (relatively new diver), but from the looks of this thread those should be on my radar. :-D

Shearwater air integrated computers are the easiest computer to use on market via what ive read and I find them amazing. they just came out with a watch style called the Terix if you dont like the rectangular style. both are air integrated and personally I like the larger screen on the Perdix A.I. and the larger screen helps with the compass which actually works. I hear most compasses on computers are hit and miss. Not on Shearwater.

Hog regs
steel tanks (worthington hp100 and faber hp120fx)
Cressi mask
Aqualung bullet fusion
Milk crate with similar mod but i use a bungee going length wise to clip gear
Utd fins
s.s backplate
collapsible hand truck to transport doubles
single tank adapter
husky tool box with misc gear
Plano deep box for save a dive kit

1. Bungee/spring straps for my fins
2. Dive Rite SS back plate with Voyager XT wing (lifetime guarantee)
3. Aqualung Fusion Bullet
4. Bungee mount for computer
5. Bungee mount for compass
6. Suunto Vyper Air w/transmitter (got from a fellow club member at an insanely good price)
7. Long hose for my primary 2nd stage
8. 100 foot roll of 1/8th inch bungee cord from DGX (this has come in handy so many times for both diving and non-diving related projects)
9. Waterproof Ultima DGS
10. Showa 720 nitrile gloves

-Z

Would definitely buy again:
-Steel tanks (Faber hdg hp120)
-DGX 800 light
-Scubapro jets
-Silicone seals for my fusion
-generic backup frameless mask with slap strap for $23

Might not buy this particular item again, but don’t regret:
-atomic z3: love the reg, but not thrilled with the prospect of christolube needed on service. I bought it in yoke, but I’m still toying with the idea of buying another second stageand buying 2 mk17s or something for when I begin diving doubles

-Hydros pro: should have bought a bpw from the beginning. still a solid single tank bc though

-Apeks fusion KVR1: it’s a nice suit. Got it on a deal. The kevlar enforced outer skin takes a hot min to dry, and I’m not sure you have significantly more drag than with a traditional trilam suit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom